Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this gun used and the mag release sticks and when it is depressed it is verry stiff. My SR 40 has no problems at all. Anyone out there with this problem, any fixes that have worked for yours. Also my trigger pull leaves a lot to be wanted, when compared to my SR40. I called ruger customer service about the trigger pull and they said it left the factory with an 8-9 pound trigger pull. I had.asked if I were to send it in if they could replace the triggergroup as a factory defect, due to the noticable diffrence in my two SR pistols and they said to ship it to them at my cost and they would determine if they would fix it as a factory issue or if I would be financialy responsible. As shipping alone would run me 80 simolians I decided to wait. Any recomondations on either or both issues would be greatly apprecited...Bod-

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I bought this gun used and the mag release sticks and when it is depressed it is verry stiff. My SR 40 has no problems at all. Anyone out there with this problem, any fixes that have worked for yours. Also my trigger pull leaves a lot to be wanted, when compared to my SR40. I called ruger customer service about the trigger pull and they said it left the factory with an 8-9 pound trigger pull. I had.asked if I were to send it in if they could replace the triggergroup as a factory defect, due to the noticable diffrence in my two SR pistols and they said to ship it to them at my cost and they would determine if they would fix it as a factory issue or if I would be financialy responsible. As shipping alone would run me 80 simolians I decided to wait. Any recomondations on either or both issues would be greatly apprecited...Bod-
I'm doing this from memory, so don't hold me to it, but I believe when the SR9 came out they had some trigger and mag release issues. This was addressed on the SR9c and the SR40/SR40c. I believe the newer SR9's were converted over to use the new parts. So, if you have an early SR9, possibly that is what is going on. However, I have no idea if Ruger will upgrade your gun for free. They don't even have a written warranty, so their service can be hit or miss, but usually they try very hard to keep their customers happy.

Note: original mag release buttons were round. The new style ones are D shaped.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea my 9mm has the round mag release and my 40 has the D shaped mag release aside from the stiff trigger and sticky mag. release I am enamored with the pistol, I remember when they first came out it was at the top of my list. The SR40 is an absolute pleasure and was what I was hopeing would follow the SR9 so when I saw the 40 at my local shop I took it home with me, however in Ca. You can only.purchase one new pistol per month so I went for the used 9mm the same day so I would not have to wait an extra month. These were both my first pistol purchase.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to give them a call and see if they'll upgrade it for you. They just might because that could be construed as a safety issue.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yea my 9mm has the round mag release.
Couple more things to take note of on your used SR9. Mine is also a 330 series SR9 with the round mag release, commonly referred to as a Gen 1.

Does your SR9 have the "Glock Style" trigger blade on it? If not, it is one of the original SR9's that has been recalled, and apparently the previous owner(s) didn't sent it in for free rework by Ruger. THe rework included a new trigger group, see Ruger - SR9® Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice

If it does have the latest trigger group, try the following: Get a spray can of CLP or Hornady One Shot and spray liberally throughout the internals of the frame, especially in the area of the trigger group and mag release. Wipe away all you can, and use compressed air to blow away the rest. You won't hurt anything by doing this, and you'll end up lubing the internals.

Another thing I've done is the buffing of the contacting components of the entire trigger group. Read and understand the information in the first few post of this thread: RugerForum.com • View topic - SR9 How-To (Multiple Inside) Updated 4/5/09 W/ Videos! It's aways a good idea to know your gun inside and out. I've had mine apart to the detailed strip level and it's not as daunting as it looks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John, yea mine dose have the,glock style trigger so it has been updated, I will try the one shot, and thanks for the great thread. I would like to become more familiar with the interworkings of my pistol and after I read the info on the thread a few times I will give it a go.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would not pay $80 to ship it to them for trigger work. I had a smith here do a trigger job and put a Ghost Rocket trigger control connector in my SR9 for $60.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts