Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently getting ready for the Idaho Bull Elk season and will as usual be taking my Ruger M77 in 338 Win Mag. My question is to Ruger Forum members that currently hunt elk with the RCM 338. If you have hunted with both 338 Win and 338 RCM and any differences noted in recoil, and stopping power between the 2 cartridges. I am thinking about purchasing one if they come out in Ruger American Rifle in 338 RCM.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
While I am not an elk hunter by any means, both of these calibers seem to be extremely powerful and should be up to the task at hand and then some.

A 30-06 would be about perfect in my opinion. Or a .270. Or even a 7mm-08.

But back to your question, it "appears" to me that there are a lot of makers of 338 Win Mag ammo but only a couple of makers of 338 Ruger Compact Magnum ammo, suggesting ammo might be scarce and it does not seem to offer up any additional benefits.

I think these two calibers are nearly equivalent. Save your money for a caliber that is different and serves another purpose.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Looks like it falls between the 338 Win Mag that you have and the 338-06 that my buddy shoots. Both cartridges take Elk very well.

If you are looking for deal on an all weather 338 RCM then look at CDNN. They have the All weather Hawkeye and the walnut ones for $499.00. They are discontinuing the all weather so if you want one you had better act fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts