Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my son thr guide gun in 338 RCM for Christmas. He is in a Airborne unit in Alaska ans loves to hunt. I wanted to get this caliber based on the ballistics and it being a short action. We have bought Hornady super performance 200 and 225 grain rounds. Wow this thing is NOT accurate. 3-5" groups. It can put 2 within a inch but always sends a flyer way off. We worked very hard setting the paralax today to make sure that was not the issue. No luck So tonight I redid the trigger and got it down to 3 lbs but I noticed the barrel is not free floated. Would that help this puppy if I free floated it? Or am I stuck with 3-5" groups?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am not sure if I can help with the accuracy, but I have had 2 of the .338 compact mag models. Both would shoot 1.5" with either of the superformance loads. The first one I had was blued/walnut. It shot a little tighter than the syn/stainless that I presently have.

Have you tried shooting it without the brake on? Just wondering if it may be setting up some strange harmonics or something. They thump you pretty good, but it's worth a try.

I am having pretty good accuracy with speer 225 gr spbt and 59.5 grains H414 or W760...still about 1.5" -1.75"

D

·
Registered
134 Posts
We worked very hard setting the parallax today to make sure that was not the issue.
Not questioning your ability Sir, But could you explain what you did reference the PARALLAX, and why you had to work so hard ?

What kind of bench/platform, or sand bags did you shoot from ?

Sometimes different rifles react differently to different ammunition.

I redid the trigger and got it down to 3 lbs
Did you shoot it with the 3Lb. pull ? Sounds like you didn't shoot it yet.

I noticed the barrel is not free floated. Would that help this puppy if I free floated it? Or am I stuck with 3-5" groups?
Unless you have some serious anomalies going on in the barrel channel I would save the free floating for last, best not to change more than one thing at a time.
But yes free floating barrels and glass bedding actions can help. But it depends on the problem and how well the rifle is working as a unit before you start.

Something that has a degree of importance is the action screws and how even or UN-even they are torqued, Also make sure your scope is evenly torqued on all the screws and check to see they are all still tight. I know you know this but I will ask anyway, did you use blue lock tight when you mounted the scope ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Got a couple of suggestions.

Check the stock action screws the front one needs to be real tight 95 in/lbs per the manual. That is a lot tighter than you think make sure it is at 95 in/lbs. That is inch pounds not foot pounds just to make sure.

If the front screw is not tight enough the accuracy will suffer. The screw is angled to draw in the action and put pressure on the chamber section of the barrel this is necessary for the rifle to shoot accurate.

The barrel may be free floated already up to the chamber section of the barrel. If a dollar bill will not slide under the barrel it is more than likely just raised grain of the wood in the barrel channel that is keeping the bill from sliding under the barrel. If it makes you feel better you can dust it off with steel wool or real fine sandpaper do not remove wood just smooth up the inside so the raised grain does not keep a bill from sliding under the barrel.

The last thing is if you have not installed Ruger style scope mounts before they are good rings but there is a trick to get them on right. You have to kind of wiggle them around as you tighten them to make sure they are seated in the blind dovetail. After that the rest of the scope install is the same as any rifle. One note the two rings are different make sure they are in the correct location front and back.

I am guessing the front action screw is not tight enough this is a common issue with a new Ruger if you never had one before it is tighter than you think a Winchester of Remington action screw would strip out if you torqued it that tight.

Hope that helps. Please thank you son for me for his service.

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Check the magazine box..............it should be loose in the stock and not under pressure with floor plate closed. If the box is tight on action, will also effect accuracy. But this rifle in this round will NEVER be a tack driver, or even close to it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you ever get it shooting accurately? Mine shoots .27” all day with Barnes 185 TSX and N-550. id check the action screws as already suggested. Are you sure scope is good?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts