Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a Mark V .340 Weatherby from a guy who couldn’t handle it anymore. Very nice rifle, no muzzle brake or any alteration from original form. I had a $200 Leupold VX-1 that had no home, and with the .340 having an excellent reputation for destroying scopes, I was curious. So I mounted the scope and took it to the range. After sight in and 20 rounds of 225 grain TTSX’s, it held up and turned in excellent groups. My shoulder? Didn’t fare as well. Now I’ve put 65 rounds through the gun and scope combo, still zero issues.

Gun writer John barsness says the .340 is about the worst scope eating cartridge imaginable. So, a strange fluke, or is the $200 Leupold just a rough and tough little bugger for the price?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I've been buying nothing else for years and with more than a dozen on guns up to the .300 wby and .338 win I've yet to need to send one back. The one on my .300 wby is pushing 30 yrs old now so I'd call them tuff.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,694 Posts
There's nothing wrong with simple, plain and tough on a hunting rifle. The .340WBY has a reputation as a real bruiser. I don't think I'd care to put a box of 20 through the gun in one session. Maybe offhand, but not shooting groups from a bench. Be sure to post some pictures of your new big game rig.

·
Super Moderator
21,275 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle. Now go shoot one of those big bears up in AK.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Terry believe me I want to! Once I get out of the army I want to. I have two years left on the contract so I’m saving money!

I’ll be taking pictures tomorrow. It’s a Weatherby MKV DGR so it’s a synthetic, sodon’t expect pretty AA grade walnut lol

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
Nothing wrong with that at all. Looks a like a tough all weather all terrain hunting rig. Just the way I like them. Congrats.

BTW, I'm a die hard Leupold fan. I own a bunch of them and most are VX-1 or VX2. A couple are more expensive but in all honesty I'm not sure there's ten cents difference. Just more bells and whistles. I'm trying to think what the biggest caliber I've had one on. Probably 9.3x62 and it's a VX-1. Never a problem.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have many of the Leupolds, VX-1, 2, 3, and a new 3i.

My "worst" kicking rifle is a M77 in 30-06, with the light weight boat paddle stock. Not a fun target gun. Many rounds down range, hot or cold, toted around on the ATV, knocked over at camp, dropped once or twice......has held zero within a click or two on the turrets all these years.

I am sold.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Use it till it breaks or you put something different on it. And if it does get eaten by the mighty Weatherby, you get to deal with another company that has a stellar customer service reputation, leupold. Leupold is my go to brand. I have them on just about all my firearms that have scopes. That includes rifles, shotguns, muzzleloader, and handguns. I know it’s not as bad as your weatherby, but my vx-6 has stood up to the pounding of my .338 win mag for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts