Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a ruger 350 rem mag rifle for sale. Any of you have any experience with this cartridge? It looks like a little fire plug and has got to be a kicker.

·
Registered
414 Posts
.350 Rem. Mag.

Above is a link for some spiritual enrichment for your reading pleasure.

Its a great little under appreciated cartridge. Its quiet the thumper in a short compact cartridge case. Recoil is stout but plenty managable. It can be chambered in short action rifle due to its design and doesnt require a magnum action. Its a great round for Bear and Hogs and will drop both with authority.

The biggest issue with it is ammunition availability! If your not a re-loader, you might want to get on board and become one. If not you might want to start buying ammunition in bulk. Its a lot more common in the north east than it is in Texas at any rate.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
My brother had one. It is a useful cartridge, as powerful as the .35 Whelen just in a short-action. With at least a 225 grain bullet it can take any animal in N. America, easily. Ammo availibilty is pretty good here in Pennsylvania and other areas of the East Coast, but not so good outside of here in the lower 48. They are somehwhat common around here (stretching the word common to the breaking point), and I believe ammo sells for about 30-35$ a box, making the cartridge best suited for a reloader.

·
Super Moderator
21,666 Posts
I agree reloading is the key. You could take that from mild to wild. Great caliber.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A good friend had one in a rem.600. I shot it more then he did, great caliber and super brush gun. It stops them in there tracks. One of the first short mag. made. It is not a flat shooting cartridge, maybe good out to 250 yds. But if you load maybe try 180 s, I shoot the old 35 Rem. and have a 180 gr. that I have killed at 200 yards. The 350 is twice the 35 Rem.. I like all the 35 cal. if you want something down shoot it with a 35. Send some pics and how much did give for it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
.350 mag

I have a model 600 rem. In .350 mag i have had this from the time they came out.(traded a brand new mod. 70 win. For it) have shot deer,elk moose and a squeral with this gun, all dropped in there tracks. I load rem cor-locs 225 gr. Great gun and round, will hurt you if you let it. Good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Came across a ruger 350 rem mag rifle for sale. Any of you have any experience with this cartridge? It looks like a little fire plug and has got to be a kicker.
I have a 350 mag stainless MkII in a paddle stock. It gets a lot of looks at the range - especially when you touch off the stick of dynamite in the chamber. Big rapport and a kick to match. I attribute the felt recoil to the paddle stock.

I buy or trade for ammo when I can find it at gun shows. There is a local reloader that loads it new for $30 a box. I started reloading recently and think I'll create two loads for this - one factory and one more like a 35 Remington +P.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have a model 600 rem. In .350 mag i have had this from the time they came out.(traded a brand new mod. 70 win. For it) have shot deer,elk moose and a squeral with this gun, all dropped in there tracks. I load rem cor-locs 225 gr. Great gun and round, will hurt you if you let it. Good luck
Man, are you lucky that squirrel didn't get back up! You should never hunt with an underpowered round like that!!!!

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Man, are you lucky that squirrel didn't get back up! You should never hunt with an underpowered round like that!!!!
Yeah, he should be deer hunting with .223's like everyone else on internet forums..... Doesn't he know that the .350 is too much for those animals he listed. I highly reccomend he switches to the .243 for all that stuff. Maybe he should even use 80 grain bullets, that'd really knock 'em flat.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Twin brothers I hunted with as a kid both got a Rem 600 for deer hunting in south Louisiana. The sensible twin picked the .35 Rem, of course the other twin had to one up him and got the .350 Rem Mag. After sight in it was suddenly easy to tell them apart, one had a wicked cool scar in his right eyebrow. That .350 was a pure beast in that very light small carbine. The Rem 600 was a very neat little rifle, a perfect match for .35 Rem. Would love to have one now and match it up with the Hornady Leverlution round.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.