Ruger Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also, wanting to load wadcutters... I recall a popular load being 3.0 grains of Bullseye with a 148gr wadcutter.... what about a 158gr wadcutter?

·
Registered
257 Posts
As to the OP original question regarding 38 Spl/357 Mag and Speer 158 gr bullets with Unique powder. Here are pages right from the Speer #15 Manual that could possibly apply.
Comparing that data to the data on the Speer website https://www.speer-ammo.com/reloading/handgun , it's exactly the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
My opinion is that a small investment can pay off big time. The Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook is my bible. The only time I strayed from it is during the (thankfully) past Obama-created shortage of everything gun-related. Then, I was lucky to get any powders at all, and sometimes the new powder wasn't in the Lyman book. On those rare occasions I went to the powder-makers sites to fill in the gaps.

I agree, the Lyman book is the best. I also have a Hornady manual. It doesn't hurt to have a couple late model manuals on hand. the Lyman manual has more info in it than any of the others. We are going into another "shortage" so you may have to use powder that is different from what you normally use. I still use WST in 38 and 45 due to changes during the Obama shortage. Hopefully this mess won't last as long as the Obama fiasco.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll throw this in...I use .357 brass with .38 long load data...Why?

You'll get a hard to clean ring of carbon in your cylinder using .38 brass that makes inserting/ejecting a .357 cartridge difficult, if not scrubbed out.

These are lower power plinking loads and very forgiving as to powder weight and have never had any problem. As I recall, Unique is kinda 'dirty', and will gunk up your cylinder.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
If the OP is reloading Speer bullets wouldn't a Speer Manual be more in line ?
Yes.

I shoot quite a bit of Speer and Hornady bullets, so I have Speer (#13 and 14) and Hornady (9th) manuals. I also have a Lyman 50th. If I shot a lot of Sierra bullets, then I would get a Sierra manual. My older Hornady, Nosler, Speer, and Hodgdon manuals are for historic reference.

I also like the annual Hodgdon magazine style reloading publication. As Hodgdon covers their powders, as well as Winchester and IMR, there's a lot of data in it.

As we are talking about publications here, I highly recommend the series of Handloader's Digest books from years past, for not only new handloaders, but experienced ones, too. The 18th edition (2011) was their last print version before their publisher folded. The 9th to the 18th editions cover the past 40 years. You can usually find them via eBay and Amazon. Handloader's Digest has recently returned, with the 19th edition available in digital .pdf format. The very early editions (1st to 8th) are also very interesting to read, as they are loaded with handloading history.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My primary data is from the powder manufacturer, and backed up by the bullet manufacturer. I always correlate the data of the 2, verifying the SAAMI specs. Safety comes first.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts