Ruger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
For a range gun and if accuracy is what your looking for. I’d go with the 6.5 inch barrel or longer if available. You really not having to holster and carry it while at the range.

I got the new model Blackhawk convertible 357/9mm with the 6.5 inch barrel and its great. The 158 gr. 357 magnum and 38 special round seems to be more accurate than any 9mm I shoot out of it.

The Vaqueros are great but if your wanting to reach out and put the smack down on a critter or target I’d stick with adjustable sights.

Sam

·
Registered
48 Posts
I prefer the 4 5/8" barrel on my standard Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I also like the 5 1/2" barrel on my Bisley 45 Colt, but the 4 5/8" balances the best for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Personal preference-

For me, the .44/.45 guns balance best in 5 1/2".
When you go to .357, the bores and chambers are smaller and so there's more steel in the barrel and cylinder. For me, a .357 feels best in 4 5/8"

Your mileage may vary...
This

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
IOWEGAN- That right there is one of the coolest Ruger single-actions Ive seen or heard of. Especially like the wide flat hammer spur. The 6.5 inch barrel is long enuff to carry easily and provide burning time for the .357 cartridge. The stainless route is the only way to go anymore...

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,162 Posts
DunRanull, Thank you for the compliment! I've done a few things that aren't visible like replaced the hammer plunger with a longer one to prevent a cylinder turn line, installed a free spin pawl, and I shimmed the cylinder latch so the gun locks up much tighter. The most important issue with the gun is …. it is dead nuts accurate and function flawless.

I really like traditional blued SAs but you are right, if you are going to carry a gun in a holster, stainless is the best way to go. It's virtually "climate proof" and the finish is very easy to maintain. I bought this gun new in 2006 and despite running a lot of ammo through it, the gun still looks and works like new.

I have a similar blued 357 Blackhawk except it has a blued steel SBH grip frame (round trigger guard). It also has a SBH hammer. I shoot it a lot at the range but I never carry it in a holster.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
The stainless route is the only way to go anymore...
That is a personal opinion :) . In my world, blued is the only way to go. A little loss of bluing from holster wear just gives a revolver a bit more character. Better yet is case colored or case hardened. That's my 'opinion'!

·
Banned
292 Posts
My blued 6.5"er makes me look like a hero at the range & I prefer the weight & balance of a longer barrel. Not the biggest fan of the XR3-RED grip frame, though the 6.5" .357 is a joy to shoot. I plan to Bisley my 10.5" .357Max & have the Dragoon grip frame & SBH hammer fitted to the 6.5"er.
Funny you mentioned the XR3-RED grip frame. I just installed one in mesquite on my 6.5 and it feels way better balanced and I can get all my big fat digits on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hi All,
I'm thinking of picking up a new Blackhawk .357 in stainless as a companion to my 6 inch 686. It will be a range toy only. Havent had a chance to fondle one yet. I like the looks of the 6 1/2 inch barrel better but wondering if it might be muzzle heavy. The 4 5/8 seems too short. The only way I see to go 5 1/2 is convertible with the 9mm cylinder. Dont plan on ever shooting 9mm. So... The question is which do most prefer?
Thanks
4 5/8's... I'm a product of the 50's and 60's westerns...except for three or four exceptions the fast gunslingers ordered theirs ...
" Easy on the trigger with the front sight a little thicker and higher than the ordinary pistol of this kind .... with the barrel about the same length that the ejector rod is ."
Truely Yours ,
W. B. Masterson
July , 1885

I didn't plan on doing a lot of things in this life...but stuff happens and you wind up doing them . Nothing wrong with the 9mm cylinder...you just might need it some day...never say never !
Gary
Gary

·
Army CW3
1,074 Posts
Funny you mentioned the XR3-RED grip frame. I just installed one in mesquite on my 6.5 and it feels way better balanced and I can get all my big fat digits on it.
I would like to get a couple of sets of those grips for my brace of 41 Magnum NMBH's. Where did you purchase them? Do you have a link, please?

·
Banned
292 Posts
I would like to get a couple of sets of those grips for my brace of 41 Magnum NMBH's. Where did you purchase them? Do you have a link, please?
Yes sir I do. Here's a link to the Extended Grips page on Henry's website. Shipped out next day too.
https://texasgrips.com/2018/01/10/hello-world/

Nuther one. https://texasgrips.com/product-category/pistol-grips/ruger/

His site may be a little hard to navigate so these are the ones I ordered. It's like a totally new gun. https://texasgrips.com/product/ruger-blackhawk-extended-xr3-red/

21 - 30 of 30 Posts