Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added this Blackhawk to the collection. I have a blued one in 357 but it has a 7 1/2 inch barrel. A friend of mine and I are planning a camping trip and we would kinda like to carry the same type of weapon. He has a Hammerli Virginian in 357 with a 4 1/2" barrel. So, when I saw this sitting in the gun case used it peaked my interest.

The gun is in very good shape. It had oviously been shot before, but not all that much. It was very clean. Be that as it may, I took it to my gunsmith and had them do a detail strip, inspect, and clean on it. Then I had them rework the trigger into near perfection.

I was unsure about the grips. All of the rest of my single actions wear wood. It just seems right. However, since I am targeting this gun as a woods gun and a user, I just might leave the Pachys on it. They do make it very easy to shoot even stout loads.

Now I just have to decide on which loads to sight it in for. I don't really plan on hunting deer with it yet. I have a few other guns that I want to get deer with first. I guess I just need a good general purpose load that is capable of protecting me and my family from general "threats" in the woods and still plink at pop cans and such. I don't really expect any animals to come terrorizing the campsite. I have been camping alot of years and don't worry much about it. But I do still prepare. I figure the greatest threat might be two legged varmints. I suppose just about anything in 357 would be acceptable.

Well, anyway, here is a picture. Yes it is the same as my avatar but bigger. It really seems to be a nice handling package and it is kinda nice looking too. (if you get past the rubber grips :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
That really is a nice looking Blackhawk .The black grips look good on the stainless. You can always change them out later . That was a good find , congrats .

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I just need to decide on a load to sight in for. I don't want it to be too expensive, like a JHP, since I am going to plink alot with it. But it needs to be able to handle most jobs like defense against critters and possibly humans, plinking, and just about everything else except deer hunting. I am thinking about a 158 LSWC. maybe not the best for any one thing, but it would do alot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts