Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying hunting with a handgun for the first time this year ... whitetail.
Any recommendations for good ammo?
I'm going to use a 6" Taurus Tracker. Most likely within 30 yards.
Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've used both Federal Vital-Shok 185 Grain JHP and CorBon Hunter 185 grain and both have performed well. I tend to lead to Federal ammo, myself. 185 grain is the biggest load I've found for my Ruger .357 GP100 for small game.

Hope this helps!

Daniel

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Last year we were handgun hunting for Whitetails. One of the party hit a running doe at 45 paces in the front shoulder with a .357 with a Federal 185 grain JHP, and it went down like it was hit with a .270. It did need to be dispatched with a shot to the head, but that .357 load did the trick.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ive used 158 grain hornady xtp hollow points in reloads on six deer now, never further than 40 yards, and ive never had one run over 50 yards after its been shot.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I load 158 grain semi-wadcutters, cast out of linotype, over 18 grains of H-110. This is a stout load, but my 6" Security Six handles it well. These bullets do not mushroom or deform, but they break or destroy anything they go through. They leave a nice blood trail, but I have never had to track one far......Robin

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
When I have hunt for whitetail with a handgun I use a 45 colt but I would use 180 grain hard swc as my loading and use at least a 6 inch barrel.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Cor-Bon's 200 Gr. .357 Magnum loads will drop a whitetail like a rock. Got one last year from a 4" barrel.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Make sure you check your local hunting regs. Some places require a minumum Ft/lb energy at a specific yardage to be legal for hunting big game. For instance in Colorado it is 550 ft/lb at 50 yds.
Have fun.
Darrell

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Ive used 158 grain hornady xtp hollow points in reloads on six deer now, never further than 40 yards, and ive never had one run over 50 yards after its been shot.
That's what I'm plannin' on using this fall myself...using a GP100! It's very accurate from my 4" revolver!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have used a Ruger 357 blackhawk for many years with no problems. I just take my time an pick my shots of 50yrds. or less.Havent lost one yet,just stay at short range and they work fine.;)

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
The first deer I ever killed with a handgun was a six-point buck at a (measured afterwards) 65 yds. I was using a Ruger Security Six with a 6in. bbl and Remington 158gr. hollow points. He went down after going about 10yds. after the shot.
Now I would use 180 grain loads just for a little more power. If I still had a hunting handgun, it would be a .357 Mag. Nothing larger is necessary in my experience as long as you don't push it beyond it's limits.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ive posted these before....but i used a 158jsp wally world federal load on this yrs. opening day buck and used a 180gr. cast load on last yrs. opening day. both dropped like a rock! the .357 is my favorite caliber for my hunting style:)

this years

last season

208 Posts
I'm trying hunting with a handgun for the first time this year ... whitetail.
Any recommendations for good ammo?
I'm going to use a 6" Taurus Tracker. Most likely within 30 yards.
Tom
I knocked down a nice 6pt at 70yds using my GP100 loaded with Hornady 140gr FTX LeveRevolution lung shot death came quick with a shot to the head.

·
Freedom, Thank a VET!!!
1,625 Posts
I have used a 180 grn hardcast bullet with copper gas check on the bottom for more velocity. I shot it out of my .357 COLT PYTHON, very accurate load and buck never traveled over 30 yards.

However, i much prefew my Smith & Wesson model 29, with 8 inch barrel using a 265 grn hardcast bullet. It wil brake both shoulders if need be the case. It is very flat shooting out to 100 yds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts