Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range to shoot the SP and BN34 with some Herco loads I was working up. I got 4 one pound canisters of the Herco in a trade so wanted to see what it would do. I also brought along some favorite loads with the H110 and some target loads in 38spl to compare. I was on the right side third from the end bench with nobody next to me on either side when I started, just the way I like it. Loads shot fairly well, and I took a break and someone occupied the bench to my left. He was shooting a 40 S&W something. I know that because I started catching the brass in my lap or bouncing off my shoulder. Then another fella pulled up to the bench on the right. Nice guy, also shooting some auto shucker. I looked down the range firing line and saw about half rifles and handguns mixed. I realized I was the only one with revolvers. A couple black rifles, a Ruger 44 carbine, a 10/22, a couple hunting rifles, one guy with several old military rifles. The rest larger caliber autos and one 22 with a laser sight. I went back to my shooting. After about half the 125gr JHP Herco loads I switched to the 38spl target loads, 135 gr LHBWC and 146gr LSWC. Also used them in both revolvers. When the range was called cold I changed targets and came back to wait for the range to go hot. Shooting at 7yds and 25 yds, Wish they had a 15yd placement, that would be a good distance for the snubbies to test. The guy next to me says, what you shooting in that thing? Magnums? I talk a bit about the loads and reloading, he makes the comment he can sure tell the difference between the target loads and the 357 mag loads. He says the concussion was so bad he had to back up and wait for me to reload. Especially with the short bbl SP. HA! Wimps, can’t even handle a little muzzle blast! Anyway, I finished up, the range officer came over and shot a cylinder full out of the SP, seems everyone wants to try that one. I was pretty happy with the way the Herco performed and will have to continue development. It won’t replace my H110 but works pretty good in a magnum loading. I was worried I would have to use it in 12 gauge only, glad I don’t since I have enough shotgun loads to last me a year or more already. It was a good day at the range, but I forgot to bring the camera. I’ll try to remember the next time so I can post some pictures. I did take a 10 minute break to leave the bench area while the guy at the end taught some lady to shoot his 22 pistol, 'cause she kept turning it 90 degrees to her body with the muzzle pointing in my direction. I politely requested the range officer to keep an eye on her then went to get a Coke out of the machine. Hope y’all had a good weekend and got the chance to burn some powder. jh

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Good to hear--with 4 lbs of herco you should be set for a while.

The one time i forced myself away from a line was when the feller 3 benches down was firing a 30-378 with some type of muzzle brake. The concussion was extremely bad that it drove me right out from under the shed. It was just me and him and his boy there at the time. I could have sworn i felt the hair on my arms move when he touched that thing off!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts