Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have reloaded for my rifles for a few yrs, mainly .223 and .308 with great results.
Just reloaded these .357 for my gp100 6 inch when I get it in a week. My mate at the range put a few of these though his gp100
and they went bang with no problems. With plenty of testing to do , I think I'm on the right track. I'm using sellier & bellot brass with 158g rnd nose projectiles.
That's a factory round on the left mine the right.
Cheers gunna.

screen grab

free photo upload

·
Registered
368 Posts
Looks like you are on the right track. Pardon my ignorance, but haven't most guns been outlawed in Australia?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, semi auto's and pump action shot guns banned here.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I like revolvers, have a 3" SP101 that is my primary SD gun. I've reloaded many 357 but prefer to reload 38spl+p for my SP101.

·
Registered
649 Posts
That is my favorite wheel gun.
What bullet and powder works for you? Never mind, saw the bullet box on your picture.
I bought some 158 grain RN hard cast Silver State bullets and was thinking of using Alliant 300MP powder.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I like flat nose bullets more. They cut cleaner holes in paper and do more tissue damage in wild game. Plus if you ever get a lever action rifle in 357 magnum you have to use flat nose bullets in those so the recoil wont cause a bullet to set off the primer of the bullet in front of it inside the magazine tube.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like flat nose bullets more. They cut cleaner holes in paper and do more tissue damage in wild game. Plus if you ever get a lever action rifle in 357 magnum you have to use flat nose bullets in those so the recoil wont cause a bullet to set off the primer of the bullet in front of it inside the magazine tube.
Yes, I prefer flat nose bullets too. My gunshop thru in a box of these r/nose bullets in when I purchased my gp.
So I'll shoot these off and get a box of flat nose next time.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
That is my favorite wheel gun.
What bullet and powder works for you? Never mind, saw the bullet box on your picture.
I bought some 158 grain RN hard cast Silver State bullets and was thinking of using Alliant 300MP powder.
There is no load data I know of for using 300-MP with lead. Furthermore, no one I found is quite sure what to make of this powder or how to extrapolate for it from other loads. You should use Alliant data exactly, including their bullet referenced, or find another powder. The Hornady manual supports the powder but always with XTP bullets. It is loud, flashy in the extreme, and leaves a mess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts