Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I've shot tons of rounds through an sp101 2.25" using 125 gr hornady. It was a hell of a lot of fun to shoot, except it was just hard for me to be accurate. And I always shot high with it. I haven't shot .357 out of my Smith 19 yet, but definitely looking forward to that.

My Charter Bulldog 44 I've shot probably 100 rounds through and I get tight groupings and much less recoil. I love a big bore, I always envisioned for self defense using my weapon at a few feet, and I sleep very well knowing my bulldog is close. I like it so much I'm getting another. Ammo is slightly tricky with it, I'm using 180 grain Hornaday hollow points, but I want to try higher grain to test it out. Bottom line for me is that I love the .357 it's a great self defense round but handle the bulldog better and I subscribe to the idea that the 44 would have less penetration and therefore bring a threat down quicker. Maybe just me, but that's my thinking.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Can't CCW where I live but around the house I have GP 100's with 38 special Golden Saber +p loads...If that won't do it then it's probably not doable.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Just wondering, which of these is better more foolproof for self defense? I love revolvers and have one of each, but the Charter .44 special is my favorite. It shoots better and is lighter and feels better in my hand. I can shoot it way more accurately and I like the round better.

I have a .357 magnum and it's fun to shoot too but I'm debating selling it for another .44 special or a .45acp

Is the .357 more reliable manstopper or the .44? I'd trust the .357, but I also feel like it's so much faster that it could just go right through whereas the .44 is slower and makes larger holes. Hopefully never need to know this for real, but which is a better weapon? From just me firing both, I prefer the .44 spl.
Hands down, comfort with what you are shooting is a major factor in accuracy...delivering rounds on target. Since delivering rounds on target is the #1 concern in a self-defense situation...sticking with what you're comfortable with is important.

The .44 Special is a good, solid, reliable cartridge that'll serve you well in just about every situation. The more I consider 'mass' to be an important aspect in a self-defense round, the more I would consider the .44 Special to fit in that category (read below.)

Here's the manufacture that I have purchased from in the past...they make some nice set-ups for various calibers and they have a great reloading program if you save your casings:

.44 Special Sample Packs

the 357 has an unchallenged reputation fr 1 shot stops. 357 125 grain has 40 years of real world records ann no cartridge exceeds it for 1 shot stops.
I CC'd an SP101 (and occasionally, a GP100) in .357 magnum for 15+ years when I first started carrying. I liked it...I was comfortable with it...I trusted it...etc.

When I started playing around with different calibers in 2004-05...that's when I sort of got away from the revolver to the semi-auto's...initially going with .357SIG as it 'matched' (was close to) .357 magnum's ballistics!

In 2010 I picked-up an Alaskan in .454 Casull and was introduced to 'big bore' revolvers...which are AWESOME!!! In 2012, I picked-up my second .45 acp pistol...and things sort of transitioned from there. Now, my focus is on 'mass' rather than on 'velocity' and the big bore pistols sort of fit that bill for me.

I really like the .45 Colt...especially the +P version (it's a nice intermediary round between .45 Colt and .454 Casull) which fits the bill for many situations.

The .44 Special is similar to the .45 Colt...and both are more that adequate home / personal defense calibers!

I'd say stick with what you are most comfortable with!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Knowing what I know now about ballistics and handguns and whatnot, I would take a .357 magnum over a .44 special.

Do not switch. Velocity is needed to rip a big hole. Big, slow rounds not ideal.

If you do anything, get one of those 5.56 pistols instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are waaayyyy over thinking this, both rounds will do the job! Personally I like to have the "right tool for the right job" and if you have a 44spl, why have a gun that is limited to only that round? Sell them all and get a 44mag/44spl and be done with it! Then you are good to go for any situation you could run into anywhere indoors, outdoors self defense against 2 legged or 4 legged critters!!
I load mine with 44spl for around town and in the home, and 44mag when I'm in the field....that said, I own a bunch of different caliber wheel guns...oh, and everyone of the guns pictured get carried...my Ruger Alaskan was my EDC for years, now I carry a S&W Talo Alaskan Backpacker in 44mag...just because it's lighter, but you do know the secret to carrying a heavy weapon on your belt is a good belt and holster right?
Here are a few of my carry guns!
Agreed. It’s like you want a Vette but you buy the Camaro, then you regret it! Buy the Vette!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Having owned the Charter Arms Bulldog pug, it's a unique handgun. Mine weighed 21 ounces. With 44 Special, it's kicks like a mule on steroids. I had to buy 3 boxes of ammo and force myself to shoot it enough to get used to it. Keep in mind I cut my handgun teeth on a S&W 29 44 magnum.

The Ruger Sp101 in 357 weighs 25 ounces. Far easier to shoot even with full magnum loads. There are low flash 357 rounds if you look around. Or just use 38+p.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,842 Posts
Caliber vs caliber threads often degenerate into dull barbs going back and forth and don't really accomplish much. This one is nearly 4 years old and was conjured back from the dead so let's close it out. The OP hasn't been back in over 3 years and at least one member who posted in the thread has passed away. If folks really want to start another similar discussion then just start a new thread and take a fresh run at it.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.