Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like the opinions of the experts here. I picked up a baggie with 50 rounds of .357 Max real cheap. Now I know why so cheap...only one will fit into the cylinder of my Blackhawk .357 Max. At first I thought the chambers were fouled from magnum rounds so I pulled my Lewis Lead Remover through and they're clean as can be. Upon close inspection there is a very slight bulge in the brass in 49 out of 50 that is located approx. a 1/4 from the bottom of the case. The bulge is almost invisible to the eye but the cartridge will not seat into the cylinder.

Is this brass now of no real value or can they be resized? I know you can buy new brass from Midway for around $27 for 100 so is it worth screwing around with this ammo?

I'm guessing someone reloaded these using the wrong set of dies? Or?

Thanks,

Wave

P.S. Because this ammo was in a baggie and of unknown origin I was reluctant to actually shoot any of it. My thought was to pull the bullets and be able to reuse the brass. $10 for 50 rounds seemed like a good deal at the time. Caveat emptor.....

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Someone may have improperly resized, yes. You could go to the trouble of pulling the bullet, dumping the powder and so at some point and as hard as Max brass can be to get, save the project for a rainy day.

Since Remington only makes a run of Max brass every other year, I would get some more brass while you can, no matter what.

·
Super Moderator
21,689 Posts
I wouldn't shoot anyone else's reloads period. I would pull one or two and resize and see if the cases fit in your BH all the way. If they won't I'd dig a hole and have a burial service.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You can give resizing a try but there's nothing like new brass. I heard Remington makes a run of 357 brass when they get enough calls requesting it, the more people call, (because they have a tally card to keep track) the quicker the brass will be made. 1-800-243-9700. When you call these are the prompt numbers you will need to press 4-1-2. I'd give them a call every week. When I called they said to keep calling the new schedule is due out within the next two weeks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would like the opinions of the experts here. I picked up a baggie with 50 rounds of .357 Max real cheap. Now I know why so cheap...only one will fit into the cylinder of my Blackhawk .357 Max. At first I thought the chambers were fouled from magnum rounds so I pulled my Lewis Lead Remover through and they're clean as can be. Upon close inspection there is a very slight bulge in the brass in 49 out of 50 that is located approx. a 1/4 from the bottom of the case. The bulge is almost invisible to the eye but the cartridge will not seat into the cylinder.

Is this brass now of no real value or can they be resized? I know you can buy new brass from Midway for around $27 for 100 so is it worth screwing around with this ammo?

I'm guessing someone reloaded these using the wrong set of dies? Or?

Thanks,

Wave

P.S. Because this ammo was in a baggie and of unknown origin I was reluctant to actually shoot any of it. My thought was to pull the bullets and be able to reuse the brass. $10 for 50 rounds seemed like a good deal at the time. Caveat emptor.....
Do not shoot these! Pull the brass and resize if you must... Otherwise, chalk this up as a lesson learned.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you've all pretty much confirmed my hunch. Gun show deals are a hit or miss proposition and this was an impulse buy. Live and learn. Actually one of the cheaper mistakes I've made....

Midway has some brass in stock right now so I may just pick up 100 for $27.

Thanks for the feedback.

Wave

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I have a rule of NEVER shooting any reloaded rounds made by anyone. Years back I was shooting hand thrown clays with a longtime buddy of mine. I ran out of ammo but we still had a lot of clays. He offered me some of his reloads that he had been shooting all day long. I was new to shooting and said "Sure." I had a bolt action shotgun at the time that's bolt was held into the receiver by an notch cut into the receiver for the bolt handle to travel through and lock into. The other end of bolt handle passed through the bolt and into a track milled into the inside of the receiver. All was well until I fired the very first borrowed, home loaded buddy round. No he was not being malicious. I capped the round off and bought knocked me on my back and then I could not extract the shell.

At it went the pressure of the shell was so great that it actually penned a new groove into virgin metal of the receiver. The bolt was ruined, the receiver was ruined, essentially the gun was ruined and beyond repair. His gas autoloader was eating those shells just fine, but my closed breech gun could not handle them at all. A little more PSI in the load and I'd of had a bolt sticking out of my eye socket. Please do as you've suggested and pull the bullets, burn the powder in an ash can and resize the brass for future loading. Smithy.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
That bulge at or near the case head is caused by the crimping die being set too deep in the press. Thus the case mouth when crimping is pushing down on the case head.

Don't ask how I know this.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Spike 12, even though this is a minor sounding woopsie, nevertheless it still renders the rounds unusable correct? I mean if the case won't chamber you're SOL and there's no way to fix an already loaded round? Smithy.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Spike 12, even though this is a minor sounding woopsie, nevertheless it still renders the rounds unusable correct? I mean if the case won't chamber you're SOL and there's no way to fix an already loaded round? Smithy.
As far as I know they're NRTS (Not Repairable This Station). You can buy a 'bullet puller' and recover the bullet howerver....

The most common bullet puller is a simple hammer like a fair and less than $20 (RCBS and others). They usually have a green or clear plastic head and handle. One end of the head unscrews so you can 'load' the faulty round in the head and then tighten it down on the case head. Then you wack the other end of the head on something hard. The force of the wack will make the bullet fall out of the case. The powder and bullet will be contained in the case head. You can weigh the bullet prior to reuse if you want.

You can consider reuse of the powder **IF** you're 110% sure of what it is, but coming from an unknown source I WOULD NOT TRUST IT. I just spead mine out on the lawn or drive way.

Some might try to recover the primers but they're so cheap (for now) that I don't bother.

The biggest benefit is that can dispose of the materials safely.

I have a bucket where I put all my smushed cases that I'll take to the metal re-cycle depot some day..

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
621 Posts
resizing loaded ammo

I do agree with other posters about shooting some one elses reloads. However, if you run into this problem again with some ammo that YOU have loaded, remove the decapping pin from your sizing die and run the loaded cartridge through it. It should size the bulge out of the brass. And yes, you can ask me how I know.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
there is a very slight bulge in the brass in 49 out of 50 that is located approx. a 1/4 from the bottom of the case
I have run into this with my .357s. My older .357 has larger chambers. So when heavy loads were fired, it created that slight bulge. The resizing die (RCBS) doesn't take this bulge completely out. Now these reloaded rounds fit fine in the older revolver, but some either do not fit or are a tight fit in my 50th Anniversary .357 BH which has tighter chamber dimensions. Just a heads up :) .

I would pull bullets and resize. Then recheck in your revolver. Won't harm a thing to try :) .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts