Ruger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,610 Posts
I have a rule of NEVER shooting any reloaded rounds made by anyone. Years back I was shooting hand thrown clays with a longtime buddy of mine. I ran out of ammo but we still had a lot of clays. He offered me some of his reloads that he had been shooting all day long. I was new to shooting and said "Sure." I had a bolt action shotgun at the time that's bolt was held into the receiver by an notch cut into the receiver for the bolt handle to travel through and lock into. The other end of bolt handle passed through the bolt and into a track milled into the inside of the receiver. All was well until I fired the very first borrowed, home loaded buddy round. No he was not being malicious. I capped the round off and bought knocked me on my back and then I could not extract the shell.

At it went the pressure of the shell was so great that it actually penned a new groove into virgin metal of the receiver. The bolt was ruined, the receiver was ruined, essentially the gun was ruined and beyond repair. His gas autoloader was eating those shells just fine, but my closed breech gun could not handle them at all. A little more PSI in the load and I'd of had a bolt sticking out of my eye socket. Please do as you've suggested and pull the bullets, burn the powder in an ash can and resize the brass for future loading. Smithy.

· Registered
1,610 Posts
Spike 12, even though this is a minor sounding woopsie, nevertheless it still renders the rounds unusable correct? I mean if the case won't chamber you're SOL and there's no way to fix an already loaded round? Smithy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.