Ruger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,560 Posts
That bulge at or near the case head is caused by the crimping die being set too deep in the press. Thus the case mouth when crimping is pushing down on the case head.

Don't ask how I know this.

· Registered
3,560 Posts
Spike 12, even though this is a minor sounding woopsie, nevertheless it still renders the rounds unusable correct? I mean if the case won't chamber you're SOL and there's no way to fix an already loaded round? Smithy.
As far as I know they're NRTS (Not Repairable This Station). You can buy a 'bullet puller' and recover the bullet howerver....

The most common bullet puller is a simple hammer like a fair and less than $20 (RCBS and others). They usually have a green or clear plastic head and handle. One end of the head unscrews so you can 'load' the faulty round in the head and then tighten it down on the case head. Then you wack the other end of the head on something hard. The force of the wack will make the bullet fall out of the case. The powder and bullet will be contained in the case head. You can weigh the bullet prior to reuse if you want.

You can consider reuse of the powder **IF** you're 110% sure of what it is, but coming from an unknown source I WOULD NOT TRUST IT. I just spead mine out on the lawn or drive way.

Some might try to recover the primers but they're so cheap (for now) that I don't bother.

The biggest benefit is that can dispose of the materials safely.

I have a bucket where I put all my smushed cases that I'll take to the metal re-cycle depot some day..

Hope this helps..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.