Ruger Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Here's my JM Marlin 1894C (357 Mag). Need I say more?

A friend showed up at the range with one of those in .44 mag that he 'didn't need anymore' the other day.... right after my truck needed two new batteries, a trip to pay my dentist's college fund and I had purchased a 52 year old S&W model 37 Airweight, LNIB. I think that I am going to miss out but it won't be for lack of desire! Oh, did I mention that it already has a receiver sight, an older one made of steel?

Bruce

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I have one of each, both Marlins (Remlins). the 44 mag rifle is about twice the recoil of the 357 rifle. The 44 is about like shooting a 30 30. Yes the 357 will shoot pretty darn flat out to 200 yards with the right bullet. I'd say for range shooting, the 357 is a hoot, for hunting maybe the 44 is more effective. They both are a lot of fun at the range.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I use a 45 colt Winchester lever. I added Williams front and rear aperature sights to get better aiming accuracy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
None of the above :D

45 Colt will do everything the 44 Mag will do and then some with less pressure, muzzle blast and recoil. Out of a rifle, the 45 Colt is not very loud at all. Even out of a revolver, the original military loading for 45 Colt had a reputation for being sufficient for all game in the lower 48, not to mention a sure-fire man stopper. Soup it up and put it in a rifle or carbine and...

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,097 Posts
FireEscape, Seems the best deals always come when your wallet is empty. Over the years, I bought a few guns for less than the going price but most of them cost me the going rate. The good news is …. guns continue to go up in value so I really don't think I'll lose any money if I sell them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 357mag gives up nothing to the 44mag, for Deer hunting! My buddy had a Rossi 92/357mag, he'd shoot 2-3 Deer a year with it. Used Factory 158gr offerings, wherever he could find 'em. I personally had a newer Marlin 357mag, with the cross bolt safety, was perhaps the most inaccurate rifle I ever shot, and I had a scope on it! Personally, I'd stick with rifle calibers for hunting.

·
Registered
416 Posts
FireEscape, Seems the best deals always come when your wallet is empty. Over the years, I bought a few guns for less than the going price but most of them cost me the going rate. The good news is …. guns continue to go up in value so I really don't think I'll lose any money if I sell them.

I am pretty used to having that empty wallet. On this occasion it was because, in addition to Christmas it was my birthday and here that means registering and inspecting vehicles, plus property tax time. I had gotten though all of that and the truck had just gotten two new batteries, dentist decided it was time for a new, full set of X-rays in addition to my cleaning and most importantly, I had finally been 'in the right place at the right time' with enough cash when an as new in box, one owner (with bill of sale), 52 year old S&W Model 37 Airweight came up for estate sale at a VERY good price. So, I have no valid reason to complain (and he hasn't sold the Marlin ... yet so ........)

While guns do seem to always go up in price I never consider them an investment. At least it is unlikely that I will see the profit. I tell my friends that ALL of my guns are for sale, they just need to purchase them from my widow!

Bruce

·
Registered
727 Posts
The 357 will work for deer hunting. The biggest reason I would go with the 357 is cost of ammunition and finding it. If you reload you have solved that problem. But when it comes time to find ammunition you will find 38/357 unless it is sold out. I own a couple 357, 44 magnums, 41 magnums and 45 colt hand guns.
When there is no shortage of ammunition I have a hard time finding 44 for a good price., 45 colt is difficult, 41 really hard. I finally got ammunition for them and reload.

My lever action is a 30-30, but if I were to sell it or look for a another a 357 will do almost anything you want.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts