Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us like the Ruger 44 Carbine, both the original Deerslayer version and the later, Mini inspired version. While it doesn't seem like Ruger is in any hurry to re-release them, I wonder about a 357mag version. Based on the wildly popular 357mag leverguns, I believe that a 357mag carbine would create an instant cult. A Mini-357 would be a fine addition to the Mini lineup and I'd buy one in a heartbeat. In addition, as Ruger was able to sort out a working 25rd mag for the rimmed 10/22, I believe that Ruger could build a reliable 20rd 357mag for it too.

As to performance, I handload for both of my Rossi 357mag leverguns, a 20" carbine and 24" rifle. Using 158grn bullets, I routinely shoot at steel with both and find the loads plenty accurate for medium distance shooting. 8" and 10" plates at 200yds with iron sights are tons of fun and with the tang and globe sight set on my rifle giving me a 30" sight radius, I love to shoot 18" steel plates with it at 300yds. That's right, 68 yr old eyes shooting a pistol bullet at 300 yds!

For those who don't handload, commercial 357mag ammo is plentiful and varied so you'd have a good selection of brands and loads. Mouse fart 90grn to full power 180grn, the 357mag cartridge has a wide variety of loads available. Buffalo Bore makes Heavy 357mag loads and they claim their 158grn load produces 2,153fps out of a 18.5" Marlin levergun! That gives the carbine a medium varmint, small deer gun potential. Switch to lighter bullets and/or slower loads and it's perfect for smaller game too. Further, I handload my 357mag loads for 13.1¢ per rd ($6.55/box) which is cheaper than 22 mag costs.

All you who'd like to see Ruger release a 357mag carbine help me out. Please click this link 'Tell the CEO' and write Michael a short note asking him to consider a 357mag carbine. It would be a blast!

·
Registered
322 Posts
The idea is sound. I wonder how many of the 77/357 and/or 77/44 bolt actions Ruger actually sells. This would probably have a big impact on their willingness to develop a Mini based or brand new auto loading 44 or 357.

Since I already have Marlin levers in both calibers, I would not be a buyer of a simi-auto 357 or 44. The levers do what I want. However IF I didn't already have these Marlins and Ruger were to offer a simi-auto I would seriously consider the purchase.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,039 Posts
I would be game, I really would love to have the deerfield 44 mag carbine with a detachable 10 or 15 round magazine, similiar setup to the m1 carbine, I wouldn't be picky, a 357 magnum version or even higher like the 454, 480 would be awesome. :D

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Dream on guys the thought of semi auto 357 is really neat but for now the lever action and bolt action 357's seem to be whats going to be around for several years!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Interesting idea.I would ponder on one if they made it. Right now we are pretty limited to the 357 lever action.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts