Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team Ruger Forum,

I am a relatively new guy here, have a recently acquired Rossi 92 carbine in .38/.357 16" barrel. Also what got me here in the first place was a used '73 Security Six 4" barrel Ruger.

Questions:
1. What recommendations have ye for .38 Special and .357 Magnum rounds that'll feed & function well in the Rossi?
2. Does anyone out here in Ruger Forum Land also have this combo?
3. are there loads to avoid - factory stuff loaded to normal pressures, not extreme Buffalo Bore type loads - that folks know about? how about leading issues and my Security Six - if I am good at cleanup, is this a non-issue?

I am really looking forward to lots of fun with these 2 guns!
Adam

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Hi I have the Rossi Model 92 but mine is the large loop plus several years ago had a Ruger Security Six. You have a very nice revolver/rifle setup there. Any good factory loads in either .357 or .38 Special will work if you use jhp's or JSP bullets. Now if you try the lead bullets like the SWC semi wad cutters or the lead round nosed I strongly suggest to stick with Hard Cast lead bullets only. If you try & shoot "CowBoy" loads thru the Rossi these will lead up your barrel. I also found these little Rossi's with the 16 inch barrels are really very accurate!!! I have the Marlin CB rifle with the 24 inch octagon barrel in .357 & love this rifle. But my go to rifle to just shoot & have fun with is my Rossi. BTW nice grips on your Ruger Security Six, this is one revolver that I wished Ruger still made. Your's looks very nice hold on to it because they don't make them like this no more the quality etc. I have a Ruger Vaquero Bisley & my S&W model 66 mine is also the 4 inch barrel. Well enough said hope this information helps. If I didn't welcome you then Welcome to the Ruger Forum from Utah

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I have the Rossi 92 in .357/.38 (16" round barrel) and a 4" Ruger GP100. I load either a Hornady 158gr LSWC or Hornady 158gr LRN with 4.8 grns of Alliant Power Pistol powder in my .38 cartridges. Works really well in both.

I haven't reloaded any of the .357 cartridges yet so I can't tell you anything on that one. Sorry.

As far as factory ammo, I have shot Federal, Blazer, Armscor, Winchester, and Remington through both with no problems.

Love the lever action and the revolver combination in that caliber. Have fun.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I would use longer heavier roundnose in 38s. 158 grain roundnose is perfect. I have had to single load short 38 round sin my marlin and winchester 357 lever guns.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'm just learning about the care and feeding of both of these fine guns!

Adam

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I didn't have issues with SWC bullets in my Rossi, but have heard general precautions that they won't always feed well. I personally had issues with .38's in general. They were just too short. They would sometimes pop up vertically while cycling the lever, preventing them from feeding. It wasn't hard to fix, but annoying.

Leading is likely highly individual. Some ammo may be a problem and some may not. Some revolvers may be a problem and some may not. I will say, lead ammo tends to be dirtier, and the 1892 is not exactly trivial to break down for cleaning. Though I didn't let that dissuade me from using it in my lever gun, but just something to be aware of. I wouldn't want to have to scrub lead out of the barrel while the bolt and locking lugs, etc were still in place.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The 92 will be more finicky COAL to ensure proper feeding, I'd start with the rifle.

.357mags were born to be fed 158grn pills, so I'd also start there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The 92 will be more finicky COAL to ensure proper feeding, I'd start with the rifle.

.357mags were born to be fed 158grn pills, so I'd also start there.
Thanks man - seems like 158 grn is the way to be, from others I've heard similar feedback.

Appreciated! FWIW - the Amazon Prime delivery dude just brought me two sets of .357/.38 Special snap caps so I have a dozen to play around with, for both my Ruger SS .357 and my Rossi 92 .357 carbine.

Go delivery this holiday - way better than going to the store!

Adam

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
For best feeding in the Rossi 92, use 158-160 gr. round nose flat point, RNFP, cast lead bullets. You can get these bullets from several outlets selling cast lead bullets. They will also preform very well in your pistol. In the rifle you can load them up to 1700-1750 fps and they make a great hunting bullets for med to small game.
Some Rossi rifles may balk on feeding jacketed hollow point bullets, if your rifle feeds them, Hornady XTP hollow points in 158 gr. make great hunting loads and self defense load in the revolver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts