Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
due to problem with my hands {old age} i want to reload 357 brass to 38 sp. power. want to avoid crud ring. i know i should adjust powder for the larger case but by what amount. any ideas? thanks.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,786 Posts
JDL, Tell me what powder and bullets you are using and I'll let you know how much powder to add.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Its pretty common for both 38spl and 44spl. Load the magnum shells to the lower pressures.

This also makes sure if you put magnum loads in, you dont try to run it through a spl gun.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
due to problem with my hands {old age} i want to reload 357 brass to 38 sp. power. want to avoid crud ring. i know i should adjust powder for the larger case but by what amount. any ideas? thanks.
I do this for a couple bullets, all lead, BTW.

I use Red Dot with extruded lead bullets, and it has worked fine for decades. I avoid reducing loads for jacketed stuff, as it's a good way to stick a bullet in the bore. Red Dot is very economical for this type of load with 140gr -158gr lead stuff. I load them to about 800fps, both bullets, and they work real well. I use the Hornady swaged and the Remington bulk swaged for these loads. Both bullets will have a sweet spot between 3.5 and 4.5gr, you just have to find it. I have a 3" M36, a 2" M637, an SP 101, and a 4 5/8" BH. Sadly, they all have a different sweet spot with any bullet.

Most cast bullets need more zip, unless you get an alloy for lower speeds. Penn cast bullets have that option in several sizes, including a 125gr bullet that can be loaded way down for sore hands or beginning shooters.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I use 38 loads in 357 cases using unique with cast bullet loads by using 38 max loads in 357 cases. Works great with lead. I never tried jacketed.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I load 8.0 gr of 231 using 125 plated or jacketed bullets in 357 cases. Nice mild target load that puts it around 1100 fps, above 38 sp +p and below 357 magnum loads. the Speer # 13 manual has starting load at 7.7 gr and max load at 8.3.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
5g of Trail Boss under a 125g TC/plated is a nice easy load. I load this for my dad. Around 860fps

5g of Red Dot under 158g SWC is my go to load. Around 1000fps

·
Registered
185 Posts
I totally agree with rclark. Trail boss is a really great powder for almost every caliber, I use it from .32 H&R up through 45/70. It is almost 'fool' proof, and almost impossible to make a major mistake....I do say "almost". I also have 'old man hands' and load most pistols, and revolvers lightly.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
In that case:

5.0g Bullseye 158g SWC 1018fps
6.0g Unique/Universal 158g SWC 1082fps

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,786 Posts
JDL, A factory 38 Special load with a 158 gr LSWC bullet produces 890 fps from a 4" barrel. To emulate standard 38 Special loads use 4.4 gr of Bullseye or 5.2 gr of Unique. The loads posted by rclark are safe but are considerably hotter than factor 38 fodder.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
thanks for all the replies. just want to avoid the crud ring with 38sp. hands can't take the beating like they used towith magnum loads. thanks again. JDL

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
JDL a good rule of thumb is just use the minimum powder chg listed in your reloading manual. Most reloading manuals like Speer, Hornady etc will usually list 3 powder chg listings in every powder & bullet size. But also Imam certain you will get some great advice and answers to your questions right here in the Ruger forum good luck!

·
Registered
400 Posts
JDL, A factory 38 Special load with a 158 gr LSWC bullet produces 890 fps from a 4" barrel. To emulate standard 38 Special loads use 4.4 gr of Bullseye or 5.2 gr of Unique. The loads posted by rclark are safe but are considerably hotter than factor 38 fodder.
My recent favorite load is 158 gr LSWC (MB) 4.3 grs bullseye in 357 cases, I would think this is about 850 fps, does anybody know what it is?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts