Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at various types of bullets that are available for reloading. I'm doing some study and research so that I can get up to speed and begin reloading before long.

I note that some bullets are advertised as "38 Caliber (357 Diameter)" and that others are listed as "38 Caliber (358 Diameter.)" I take it that the one is .001 larger in size. What is the significance of this difference when it comes to reloading one or the other? Thanks!

Amistad

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Usually the lead bullets are .358 and the jacketed bullets are .357. The lead bullets are usually more accurate when slightly over bore size due to better gas seal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Try some Rainer or Berrys plated bullets with a medium load of powder. Makes for some good range/plinking ammo.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Don't ever forget the good old wadcutter either. They make a great practice & small game load & shouldn't be overlooked for defence either. They cut a full caliber hole every time. Frank

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by Frank V
Don't ever forget the good old wadcutter either. They make a great practice & small game load & shouldn't be overlooked for defence either. They cut a full caliber hole every time. Frank
Many thanks for the replies. I do enjoy shooting LWC in my SP-101 and am always on the lookout for a "deal" om some more of them...

Amistad

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Amistad, you'r welcome. I really favor the WC in the .38 Special. I used to shoot NRA Bullseye Pistol & the .38 was a big part of that, but I have taken lots of small game with the .38 WC. Frank

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Amistad, I like the wadcutters in the 38spl, and a HBWC makes one a heck of a home defensive round. They are probably one of the most versatile types available in 38cal.
Yep, .358 for lead, and .357 for jacketed.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Plus, I like the nice little round holes the HBWC'c leave in a paper target! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.