Ruger Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
I bought some Hornady brass 45-70. They were approx. 1/8 inch shorter than Starline brass.
Hornady makes some of their brass shorter to work with their longer 'LeveRevolution' bullets. It would be nice if they mentioned it when describing their brass but ....
So far I have learned that their 45-70 is short and their .348 Win & .32 Win Special are 'normal'. I have not heard mention of this carrying over into their handgun brass ammo but they do make some of that with the 'soft' tipped, longer bullets so it could happen.

Bruce

·
Registered
60 Posts
if you look in the Hornady reloading manual they give the shorter case length for there special bullets to be used in the older calibers I don't think they gained any thing on some of them I don't get better groups!

·
Registered
647 Posts
if you look in the Hornady reloading manual they give the shorter case length for there special bullets to be used in the older calibers I don't think they gained any thing on some of them I don't get better groups!
But what they don't tell you (or at least didn't when I was searching for .348 Win. brass) is whether they make and sell their new brass in normal lengths to fit 'standard' bullets or shorter to go with their 'special' bullets. The .348 that I bought from them was 'normal', I have not taken the chance on buying 45-70 brass from Hornady after finding shorter cases in their factory ammo. Maybe all the brass they sell as new cases IS normal length but short of measuring them in the store (if you find any there) I can't confirm or deny that.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Hornady makes some of their brass shorter to work with their longer 'LeveRevolution' bullets. It would be nice if they mentioned it when describing their brass but ....
So far I have learned that their 45-70 is short and their .348 Win & .32 Win Special are 'normal'. I have not heard mention of this carrying over into their handgun brass ammo but they do make some of that with the 'soft' tipped, longer bullets so it could happen.

Bruce
Yes, now that I think about it, I believe I did buy some of the Leverevolution ammo for my Henry 357. That would make sense for use in the tube of a lever gun.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I bought 45-70 brass from StarLine works good and is full length
We are taking this topic rather far from the problems of resizing .38 Special brass but since he solved that issue, not too much harm done.

Continuing Off Topic: I also bought my 45-70 brass from Starline and have been happy with everything of theirs that I have tried. At the time I was looking for the .348 Win. brass Starline was only offering it in lots of 500 (and none of the re-sellers were offering smaller lots). I will not live long enough to shoot 500 rounds from that rifle so I gambled on buying 100 of the Hornady and was lucky that it is 'normal' length.

Bruce

21 - 26 of 26 Posts