Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a 38 Super like I had back in the 70s. I was wondering...what is the better caliber, I know I can find 38 super ammo without too much problem and 10mm is almost non-existant down here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unless you reload, I think you answered your own question. I reload and shoot a bunch in both calibers and find the 38S more accurate. For stopping power, the 10mm is the hands down winner.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
I would tend to agree with Funflyer on this one. I bought the .38 Super for no particular reason. Accurate and fun to shoot I would never sell it. I only started shooting .10 mm a couple years ago. Now I have three. I'm thinking you need both. I reload as well, hard to find components for anything these days. If you don't reload and find .38 Super ammo, there is your first purchase. :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Another vote for 38 Super, only because I have one.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Now, is there another frame available for the 38 super besides the 1911 that is reliable and not too expensive?

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
Thanks guys. Now, is there another frame available for the 38 super besides the 1911 that is reliable and not too expensive?
Another platform? Yes, Sig P220. Reliable? Yes. Inexpensive? Nope. Rare as hen's teeth and the prices reflect it. I've been looking for one for years. When I do come across one for sale usually someone has beaten me to it or it's priced too high. I'll find one eventually.

I

·
Registered
942 Posts
38Super is a fun cartridge other then that and 10mm there is a Coonan 357mag that is even more interesting and ammo is more readily available.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Keep your eye on gun deals for the Witness in 38 Super when it comes available. You can also go to some of the sites listed and put your email address in for when they're back in stock. I've had one for a number of years and want to grab one in 10mm as soon as the craziness lets up, whenever that will be.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Keep your eye on gun deals for the Witness in 38 Super when it comes available. You can also go to some of the sites listed and put your email address in for when they're back in stock. I've had one for a number of years and want to grab one in 10mm as soon as the craziness lets up, whenever that will be.
Excellent recommendation. I forgot I found a used Witness a couple years ago. I want to say it was in the $400 range. Glad you reminded me. It does shoot well but, not as good as the Colt National Match.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
38Super is a fun cartridge other then that and 10mm there is a Coonan 357mag that is even more interesting and ammo is more readily available.
+1 on the Coonan suggestion. It might be hard to find one right now. I don't think they are distributing or even manufacturing right now. The 357 is a gas to shoot. They eventually made one in 10mm and 45 ACP.

·
Registered
942 Posts
If I see another Coonan for sale in 357 mag I'm buy it as I'm not holding back this time. They shoot really nice. Hopefully soon than later.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had several of both. I don't necessarily consider one "better", just different. The 10 is able to propel heavier bullets to 38 Super like velocities, and might be considered a different class of cartridge depending on intended use. In a 1911, I think the .38 Super is more appropriate. I've had two 1911 type 10MMs, a Colt Delta and Kimber, and it always seemed to me that with the "real" 10MM ammo, my guns were really beating themselves up. A fellow shooter told me his Delta cracked though the locking lug area, top of the slide. Said Colt warrantied it, and he sold the replacement Delta without ever shooting it. Of the two, I preferred the Kimber due to the excellent case head support. FWIW, the several S&W 10XX series pistols I've owned handled the real 10MM factory and handloaded ammo with no issues whatsoever.

My Supers have all been 1911 types, but they all handled even the hottest 38 Super, 9X23,etc. ammo without issue. I do prefer the Supers that have the ramped barrels due to their superior case head support, as compared to the unramped Colt, etc. type barrels.

In any case, both excellent cartridges, that are both fun to shoot and reload for IMHO.

PS, Got to shoot one of the Coonans mentioned one time. Thought it was a pretty neat pistol.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Somebody was trying to tell me that you could shoot 9mm in a 38 super. Somehow that doesn't sound like a good idea.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ikar, 9MM will chamber in some 38 Supers, but headspace is GROSSLY excessive. If the extractor holds the 9mm cartridge close enough to the breech face, one could certainly shoot 9mm in these Supers. I would expect flatted and pierced primers if this was done. I don't shoot 9X19mm in my Supers...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts