Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experance with it? At one of the shops that I go to there was a man there that needed a bushing for a colt 9MM but was putting is a 38 super barrel said ya could do it just drop it in. said the mags were the same. Anyhow know if this is true or not? Must have been as he was going to do it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a Colt .38 Super years ago and it was a good gun, but the .38 Super cartridge is longer than a 9mm, more akin to a .45 in length. I would expect he would have magazine problems even if the barrels were interchangeable.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked with the shop owner said it could be done but ya have to use 38 super mags extractor and barrel. The cost of the 38 super ammo keeps me from doing it I can buy 9MM cheaper than reload it, and I roll my own 45 acp's. Thanks for the input COFFEE POT

·
Registered
191 Posts
A lot of .38 super is used because of the lighter bullet, hence less recoil, and you can load .38 Super hot enough to make 'major' category. Added mag capacity is a plus.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
RIA
rock island is also importing a 1911 38 super now. i think under $400 retail. Reports on their 45's have bee purty fair.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
quote:Originally posted by deputy125

RIA
rock island is also importing a 1911 38 super now. i think under $400 retail. Reports on their 45's have bee purty fair.
Isn't this the one imported from the Philippines? If so, I've heard of quality complaints.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yep, believe the RIA is from there but think armscor and dan wesson 1911's are also from there. Heard plenty complaints about the armscor but good reports about the ria. Heard that RIA uses better parts possibly?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
The Messicans aren't allowed by federal law to have .45 cal. 1911-so .38 Super in 1911 style is as big there as .45 here...or was in the 70's...it was the hottest thing they were allowed in a 1911 platform and maybe in a semi-auto of any kind...I never read the law....

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
never knew they couldn't have a the 45 sheepdog. learnsomething everyday.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mexico isn't the only country with those rules. There are also many European countries where civilians aren't permitted to own a firearm chambered for a military cartridge.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
COFFEEPOT, I was always bemused by the number of police agencies in Yurp that issue .32 or .380 pistols to the police...i.e. PP and PPK...amazing how they put confidence in those and FMJ as a primary-I'd have to shoot a box a day to keep sharp......

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The other day someone at the gun shop was saying that it was against a federal law that Mexico couldn't have anything larger in a side arm that a 38. Is this truth or fiction anyone know the story behind th story?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Don't know but i was told the same thing--not allowed to own anything that their military uses.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Betcha they're scared someone would sell off all the ammo and the soljers wouldn't have none.....betcha they're right:D:D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Somethin about a government that wants to make sure it's military always outpowers it's citizenry that gives ya a warm fuzzy feeling, dunnit?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well think your right there, not sure if there is anything to the story, just something I have heard never was sure if it was true or not. but it does make you wonder at times.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Been pretty much common knowledge around Texas...fer years...'bout th' Mexican restrictions on caliber, particularly .45 ACP. But, I gotta wonder if .45 is still a military caliber there or if they've gone to a 9m/m like most everyone else and, if there has been a change, is .45 still taboo?

And also...does anybody know if that restriction extends/extended to rifle calibers as well. I never was clear on that issue.

Carried a Super on-n'-off fer' a coupla' years in th' early to mid 70's...twas' a factory nickel commercial model, pre-series 70. Shot like a dream. When I first started carrying it, all one could get was ball, then, sometime around 1974 or so, Super-Vel came out...WOW!

Man oh man, do I wish I'd never gotten rid of THAT one!!! ( and a few others of like vintage! ) Sure think that, well, gettin' older n' all...sure like to get another one while I can still use and enjoy it...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts