Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a LCP .380 Gen2 as well as some Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

I'm looking for ammo to use for practice at the range...something not as expensive as the Hornady Critical Defense but will feed through every time.

Locally I have the following options:
- American Eagle .380 Auto 95gr FMJ (50/$20)
- TulAmmo .380 ACP 91gr FMJ (50/$15)
- Winchester .380 Auto 95gr FMJ (50/$19)
- Remington .380 UMC Auto 95gr MC (50/$19)
- Blazer Brass .380 Auto 95gr FMJ (50/$22)
- Winchester .380 Auto Train FMJ (50/$22)

Out of these, which is the best option?

Thanks!

BCubed

·
Registered
765 Posts
Keep an eye on freedommunitions.com. They are out of stock right now but if you get their Blaster: Training Ammo, it can be had for $12.46/50.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Your getting good info here BCubed.

I, personally, am not a fan of the steel cases ammo, but anything named here, if you find a decent price, will work for training.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I've tried everything you list except the TulAmmo in my LCP (Gen 1) and it all worked fine. For all I know, the TulAmmo would work, as well. Enjoy!

Jim

·
Registered
31 Posts
No .380 expert here but I shoot Winchester white box for practice in my Gen 2 and it ran perfectly. I also bought Hornady Critical Defense ammo for SD. I've read an article or two that tells me the CD ammo shouldn't be our first choice unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
WalMart is a good source for Perfecta .380 (it is Fiocchi ammo made in Italy). The same ammo was packaged as Tulammo BrassMAXX in the past. Even my temperamental Mauser HSc will run with it.

LCP has run fine on all types of ammo I've fed to it. Currently loaded with Hornady Z-Max.

·
Exalted One
1,808 Posts
I mostly fire PMC Bronze and Blazer aluminum. Both work great with nary a hitch. Just picked up 200 rounds of Perfecta at Wal-Mart for 26 cents per round.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Tried the PMC bronze in my wife's Ruger LC380 and it was really good ammo. Not a single failure of any kind and fairly accurate.

Bought 3 boxes of the Perfecta .380 that Walmart sells and every few rounds she had failure to feed, double feeds or rounds were popping out of the top of the mag while she was firing. Really not good for her LC380.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I have used whatever is cheapest and have had no problems with any of it. Primarily, Fiocchi, PMC, Winchester, or Blazer as that is what I can usually find.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use Silver Bear .380 FMJ I ordered from Cheaperthandirt.com. I haven't had any problems with it in my LCP or my wifes Taurus Curve. Pretty cheap at $11 box /50 rds. and it comes right to your door!

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Recently purchased a LCP .380 Gen2 as well as some Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

I'm looking for ammo to use for practice at the range...something not as expensive as the Hornady Critical Defense but will feed through every time.

Thanks!

BCubed
If you want ball or hollow point to practice, try freedom munitions.

https://www.freedommunitions.com

They ship to first time buyers free.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Remington UMC
Winchester white box
Blazer Brass
PMC Bronze
Federal American Eagle
Fiocchi

...... it's all good in my .380 LCP and 9mm Taurus PT111 G2. If I had to pick a #1 choice, it's the cheapest one I found..... Blazer Brass. No Walmart Perfecta or Tula for me. Reviews on Perfecta are mixed and the Tula has steel...... no good there.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Recently tried out a load in the wife's LC380, for self defense. Was the Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FTX, it shot flawlessly. Was very accurate and she said it felt really good when firing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts