Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my local gun shop said the additional ounce over the keltec is because of better steel used for the slide

does anybody know the basic differences of the LCP vs the 3AT?

knowing ruger the extra ounce is there for a reliability reason...
just gotta find out where and what they did

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,671 Posts
The LCP hasn't hit the streets yet so nobody knows exactly what is different from a Kel Tec. Based on the illustrated parts diagrams, there's not much difference except Ruger has a slide lock and the Kel Tec doesn't. The shape of the slide is a bit different too. I doubt if the ounce has anything to do with reliability ... more for a different look and the added slide lock.

Most of the reliability issues with Kel Tecs are related to the cheap magazines and poor extractors. Hopefully, Ruger will provide a decent magazine and will take care of the extractors too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well
we can see that the extractor has been redesigned
but that isn't the one ounce!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,671 Posts
hideit, Curiosity .... so what's the big deal with an ounce difference? Would it prevent you from buying a LCP? Would it make the Ruger better than the Kel Tec (or visa-versa)? Do you think anyone can possibly answer the question until they can put the two guns side by side?

I noticed you have a Baby Browning in your list. Take a look at my Bauer and see if there is anything different from your Baby (other than maybe the grips and the fact that mine is stainless).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am pretty sure your bauer is almost identical to the colt n/vest pocket/Jr.
the baby browning is smaller
0.4" shorter and 3 oz. lighter

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i forgot to answer your other question
an additional ounce is not a big deal
the extra ounce will not keep me fom buying it
however where the extra ounce is placed could be a big deal in its reliability

1 - 6 of 6 Posts