Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- new to the forum. Can I use WINCHESTER USA 38SUP +P 130GR FMJ 50RDS in my Ruger GP100?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey all- new to the forum. Can I use WINCHESTER USA 38SUP +P 130GR FMJ 50RDS in my Ruger GP100?
38 super and 38 special aren't the same round. GP100 is for 357 magnum rounds and 38 special / 38 special +P. GP100's are built to be tanks, so although 38 special from a GP100 is a great way to train new shooters, I personally don't run any through mine anymore because it makes for a much lengthier and more tedious cleaning process that if ignored will make it much harder to eject spent 357 casings with the ejector rod and the casings will stick. Not ideal for an actual self/home defense situation. 38 super I believe is similar to 38 special, but still a different round. And you are only supposed to run the type of ammo thru your firearm that the owner's manual reccomends...which for the GP100 is 357 mag, 38 special, and 38 special +P. I have seen 38 super lumped in with 38 special online in the few places who offer ammo for sale. Maybe someone more familiar with 38 super can elaborate further and in greater detail...but short answer for me at least, is no..not the same round, not listed in the owner's manual, so not reccomended.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I forgot to mention, I beleieve but aren't 100% sure that 38 super is designed for semiautomatic pistols as opposed to revolvers since I usually see it mentioned as 38 super "auto". In which case, it probably doesn't have the lip/rim protrusion needed to properly chamber the round in a revolver. Have no idea if the dimensions would work. 9mm is actually a c*nt hair smaller than 357 in bullet diameter, but a tiny bit wider in case diameter, so a 9mm round won't fit in a 357 revolver cylinder and gets stuck half way. I'm sure there is some possible way of doing what you are asking, but I highly reccomend just avoiding that whole situation and maybe trade it for some revolver rounds on gun broker or something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
38 super and 38 special aren't the same round. GP100 is for 357 magnum rounds and 38 special / 38 special +P. GP100's are built to be tanks, so although 38 special from a GP100 is a great way to train new shooters, I personally don't run any through mine anymore because it makes for a much lengthier and more tedious cleaning process that if ignored will make it much harder to eject spent 357 casings with the ejector rod and the casings will stick. Not ideal for an actual self/home defense situation. 38 super I believe is similar to 38 special, but still a different round. And you are only supposed to run the type of ammo thru your firearm that the owner's manual reccomends...which for the GP100 is 357 mag, 38 special, and 38 special +P. I have seen 38 super lumped in with 38 special online in the few places who offer ammo for sale. Maybe someone more familiar with 38 super can elaborate further and in greater detail...but short answer for me at least, is no..not the same round, not listed in the owner's manual, so not reccomended.
Awesome- thanks! Ammunition is tough to come by. I'll keep searching.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Awesome- thanks! Ammunition is tough to come by. I'll keep searching.
No prob! I own a GP100 myself that I upgraded and did some work on and it's my favorite firearm. And yes, it's been a drag getting ahold of any ammo and in the rare instance it can be found, it's 3x the price it was last spring. Makes me wish I had stocked up more. If you are looking for 38 special, I can direct you to a guy who sells 100 rounds of Blazer at a clip for $110 without tax (or it's already included in the price), and gives ya free 3-day shipping. It's still a king's ransom, but 38/357 is damn near impossible to find right now, no ammo is cheap right now, and they seem like good folks...he also has 357, so lmk if you're interested and I'll see what I can do for ya.

·
Registered
380 Posts
As mentioned, the 38 Super and 357 Magnum are different rounds. The 38 super is a rimless cartridge for auto loaders that headspaces on the case mouth. The 357 Magnum is a Rimmed cartridge that headspaces on the rim. Nothing good would be achieved by trying to fire one in the other's chamber. .38 Special may be easier to find, and provide shooting enjoyment. Save your brass! If you do buy some 357 Magnum at the usurious prices asked nowadays, save the brass, and invest in some simple(?) reloading equipment, primers, if you can find any at reasonable prices, powder, bullets, and reload.

·
Registered
2 Posts
38 sp makes for harder cleaning and sticking cases? New guy here with GP 100 awaiting 14 day permit clearance. Because of the lead bullet? I wasn’t aware of this. I’ll do a google search. Thank you for bringing this up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
38 sp makes for harder cleaning and sticking cases? New guy here with GP 100 awaiting 14 day permit clearance. Because of the lead bullet? I wasn’t aware of this. I’ll do a google search. Thank you for bringing this up.
It is not an issue, as long as you clean your cylinder properly. I have fired many thousands of .38 Special rounds through my .357 revolvers and have had no trouble keeping the chambers clean. The .38 Special case is just a little shorter than the .357, so if you let excessive amounts of carbon form in front, it can cause chambering issues if you switch to .357 without cleaning. Just keep it clean and you will never have an issue. Like many shooters, I bet I put 100 rounds of .38 Special through mine for every 1 round of .357 Mag. Enjoy your new GP100.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No prob! I own a GP100 myself that I upgraded and did some work on and it's my favorite firearm. And yes, it's been a drag getting ahold of any ammo and in the rare instance it can be found, it's 3x the price it was last spring. Makes me wish I had stocked up more. If you are looking for 38 special, I can direct you to a guy who sells 100 rounds of Blazer at a clip for $110 without tax (or it's already included in the price), and gives ya free 3-day shipping. It's still a king's ransom, but 38/357 is damn near impossible to find right now, no ammo is cheap right now, and they seem like good folks...he also has 357, so lmk if you're interested and I'll see what I can do for ya.
Wow! Thanks so much and yes! I really would appreciate this. Let me know what you would need on my end. Thanks! Tad

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
You guys figured it out but even if you had bought 38Super ammo it wouldn't chamber in your GP100. You couldn't shoot it if you tried.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is not an issue, as long as you clean your cylinder properly. I have fired many thousands of .38 Special rounds through my .357 revolvers and have had no trouble keeping the chambers clean. The .38 Special case is just a little shorter than the .357, so if you let excessive amounts of carbon form in front, it can cause chambering issues if you switch to .357 without cleaning. Just keep it clean and you will never have an issue. Like many shooters, I bet I put 100 rounds of .38 Special through mine for every 1 round of .357 Mag. Enjoy your new GP100.
Thank you for your response! Much appreciated.
I found one with a 5” barrel on Gunbroker, placed a bid never expecting anything to come of it. Was it meant to be?
This is my third purchase from Ruger, the first being an M77 in 30-06 in 1975. It was only $165! Put a Leupold variable 2-7 which cost $108. To put things in perspective, I think that the minimum wage was then $1.85. I had just started as a welder/helper and was making $4.11....I was doing well for a 20 year old. Regrettably I used it as payment for work done on a’79 f150.
Last year I got the PCC with the AR style, intended to pass on to my daughter

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m new to this site, but not to shooting, and I don’t want it to sound like I’m stepping on toes, but the .38 Super is not ‘rimless’. It DOES have a rim that is about .022” larger than the base dia. of the case. When it was first introduced it head spaced on that rim, and that is why it’s accuracy wasn’t that great.
Later, it was discovered that if you change the chamber dimensions so that it head spaced on the mouth of the case, like most other semi-auto rounds, the accuracy level was right on par with any of the others. They use it a lot in IPSC, so it has to be fairly accurate.
But it’s all a bit of a moot point, since as Bonk pointed out, it won’t chamber anyway. It’s too big!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
As mentioned, the 38 Super and 357 Magnum are different rounds. The 38 super is a rimless cartridge for auto loaders that headspaces on the case mouth.
The .38 Super is a semi-rimmed round - it has a vestigial rim, but does use the case mouth for headspacing. There is a rimless version called .38 Super Comp. Super Comp rounds stack better in the magazine of a semi-auto pistol.

There are revolvers chambered for the .38 Super and these utilize moon clips for proper headspacing and extraction. Smith & Wesson chambered both their 627 and 686 in this caliber. I used a .38 Super 627-4 PC for USPSA and ICORE for several years before I retired it in favor of a 929 in 9 mm.

My 627-4 Performance Center in .38 Super

And to answer to OP's original question - I'll join the others - No you can't use it in your revolver chambered for .357 Mag. However, there are other alternatives beside .38 Special. Both .38 Long Colt and .38 Short Colt can be used - competitive shooters have been doing this in their 627's for a long time. The shorter cartridges (in moon clips) facilitate faster loading than the longer cartridges - even more important that you thoroughly clean the chambers after use.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
792 Posts
Bob nice wheel gun. I learned something new too. Didn't know they made a revolver in 38 super. Now ill have to find one to go with my 1911. After things settle down. Thanks (y)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bob nice wheel gun. I learned something new too. Didn't know they made a revolver in 38 super. Now ill have to find one to go with my 1911. After things settle down. Thanks (y)
Thanks for the kind words. Good luck on finding one. I believe that max production was 600, but could have been half that. Not sure on the 686's but I have only ever seen one for sale (auction - and I lost), but I know someone that has two of them. Trying to get him to will me one - LOL.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Banned
17 Posts
Got some news for everybody here...38 Auto and 38 Super are both SEMI-RIMMED! That being said, I've got a 357 speed six that will chamber AND FIRE both as long as the bullet is .355"! Then again, I had a blackhawk 357 that wouldn't chamber 38 Super.
So, the bottom line is check if it will chamber, if it will, go ahead and try some!

·
Premium Member
14,402 Posts
The 38 super I have seen are only for 1911 styles of guns. I would not try it at all to be honest with you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts