Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a red dot with a 3moa dot....
Our club is going to have a 50 yd bench rest event for our youths... I intend to put this on my daughter's 10/22
She currently has a Williams WGRS-RU on the gun with a gold dot front sight...
Do you think the 3moa will cover too much of a target at 50 yds...

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I use several 3 and 4 MOA red dots at 50 yards with my 22 pistols and rifles and it does tighten my groups up over using iron sights, but, then, I'm a long way from being a youth. :)

A 3MOA dot will cover 3 MOA (basically three inches) at 100 yards, so only 1.5 MOA (basically 1.5") at 50 yards. As to whether that will work for you depends on the target size. Your best bet for target sizes would be a bit larger, say two inches at a minimum so you can see and frame the dot in the center of the target. It's when your target disappears, completely behind the dot that accuracy starts to suffer. If your target size is smaller, you could still hold the red dot under the bull in a six o'clock hold, but being able to center the dot in the bull is much easier. It's the way red dots are designed to be used.

S.O.P. when using a red dot is to turn down the brightness until you can just see the red dot against the target. It's when you use too much brightness that things start to get fuzzy. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Below is a picture of the Williams RU-22 fiber optic front post with the fiber optic rod removed...

It might be hard to believe but that post with the rod/dot removed lets you see every bit of the target and PRECISELY where the center of the target is and the center of the POA...I am pushing 60...30 years ago I had eagle eye long range vision...now I wear corrective lens for all distances in both eyes...my glassed need new prescription for distance...50 yard target with 1" center is a bit fuzzy but not too bad...with the fiber optic insert I could tell where the center was supposed to be because of the paper target design with big red cross to center up on but couldn't see the center...also have made custom front posts for mine with .052 steel ball...which is way way better than the Williams post with the fiber optic dot...the hole for the dot is .062 plus the peened end and the o.d. of the ring that holds the dot...huge difference on 1moa target at 50 yards where you are trying to make one smallest possible hole in a piece of paper to win a contest...

And what I am saying is that even with my limitations what you see in the picture is infinitely better than the .052 ball...

Also...for me...the RU-22 was good...however...I need more eye relief (young person with clear vision probably wouldn't) from the ghost ring/peep sight in order to get the clearest and most precise target picture...therefore I currently use a WGRS-54 mounted on a Weaver tip off rail that I can slide forward on the receiver to get the best focus...not saying you need that or should do it...and it would require a lot of work to get the correct height front post with a factory barrel...

What I definitely would recommend along with a "dot-less" front post in your situation would be .05" diameter peep hole insert...Williams sells them and they can be found at Midwayusa also...

What you will end up with is a full field of view with precise centering...sight picture is ring inside a ring...a youngster will take to it like fish to water... :D

What you might want to do is get yourself a fiber optic front post for the RU-22 and a .05 peep insert from Midway...that way you can remove the fiber optic instead of messing up your gold dot just in case you don't like my way...cheap parts and they go A LOT...!

One last thing...if you get peeps...if you will be in the shade at the bench shooting get the twilight peep...if you will have direct sunlight hitting the peep get a black one...and you might want to get the large o.d. target type in black anyway...maybe both...you can't have too many and it pays to experiment and find what works best...

As for the Red Dot...I can see where people might like them for certain applications...for what your kid is doing...IMO...take it off and forget about it...just keep it simple...and let her do her thing... :D

Now I apologize for the poor photography but it was the best I could do for now...picture does not do it justice...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 - 3 of 3 Posts