Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get a 4 5/8 in. Blackhawk in .357 and I'm wondering what to expect in terms of accuracy, notwithstanding user error. Anybody punch much paper with theirs?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have both a 357 and a 41 Blackhawk with the 4-5/8 barrel. The 41 is OK, but the 357 I can shoot MUCH more accurately.

(Also USAF, Ret.)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have an old model that I was shooting Monday night and I have to tell you that it is one of my most accurate revolvers. Just love it!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
azmark, Here's one of My 357 Blackhawks. This one is a 357/9mm Convertable (BN-34X). With the 9mm cylinder installed and the best loads I can find .... it shoots paterns not groups. However, with the 357 Mag cylinder installed, it shoots very nice groups using the same ammo I load for all my other 357s. I actually shoot my old Liberty 6.5" BH (BN-36) a little better off hand but from a bench rest, there's hardly any difference.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Shoots like a dream. The .357 is the least problematic of all Ruger's single actions. I've had several and they all shoot great. Just remember the short barrels are not going to group MOA, but are sure a 'hoot to shoot"!

·
Registered
349 Posts
The 4 5/8" guns have that certain magic that none of the other barrel lengths have...that is "balance".

Working clockwise from the top right:
NM .45 Colt pre-warning
NM .41 Magnum pre-warning 200th Year
NM .22/.22 Magnum
NM .357 Magnum pre-warning
NM .41 Magnum with SBH gripframe
NM .32 H&R Magnum

In a SA the 4 5/8" Ruger and 4 3/4" Colt are my favorites....

Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
all things equal a short barrel will shoot just as accurate as a long barrel. they are just harder to hold. because of the shorter sight radius.takes a lot more practice. which is good. the short barrel packs much better.

booneh

·
Registered
374 Posts
On a good day I can hold 2", 2-hands, unsupported. That's about as good as I can shoot any of my guns, tho the single-action is more hold-sensitive to me. I'm also impatient and vary my grip a bit, which helps not at all. Find your comfort spot and be consistent.

-Daizee

·
Registered
374 Posts
embarrassment of reference frame

sorry, just re-read my post.
That's 2" at 15yds. 2" w/o a range is a rather useless figure.

-E

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a .357/9mm convertible. I've done 2" groups at 15 yards with .38 special and the revolver should do better. As Iowegan said, there is a bit more scatter with 9mm. I'm glad the one I bought was one of the "old" ones with rosewood grips. I don't like the new rubber grips nearly as much.

I'm trying to figure out a handload that works best. Haven't decided yet, but that's the fun of handloading and shooting.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
use but shoot steel now they do well.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just bought a SS 4 5/8" NM Blackhawk in .357. Unfortunately being in CA, I can't pick it up for ten days from the date of purchase. I'm looking forward to shooting that rascal.

My only other BH was a .30 Carbine. It was lots of fun, but I wound up selling it to buy something else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a pair of 50th .357s, one shoots great, the other shoots scary great. From the bench at 25yds. it will shoot from just under an inch to just over an inch with loads it likes when I hold my mouth just right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't shot my convertable for group but just plinking with both cylinders the gun is great!!
The 357 is easier to shoot than my N frames and the 9mm is just great fun and cheap to shoot.
Reloading the 357 can really make the 357 sing. I load some 180 grn jhp's and am ordering some 190 grain lead to see what they will do!

Get one and have fun!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Picked it up today. 4 5/8" .357. It'll go to the range Sunday morning. FWIW, I've never shot a bad Blackhawk.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts