Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always wanted a Ruger SA and having followed this forum for some time am getting closer to taking the plunge. I was originally focused on .44 magnum, but have decided to go with .45 Colt/.45 APC convertible instead. After getting past the choice of caliber issue, I'm now struggling with barrel length. Inclined to go 5 1/2", but some of you have said the shorter barrel balances much better in the .45 BH. Not particularly concerned with loss of MV in the shorter version. What should I have in mind when I get to the LGS and actually handle the two barrel lengths? Or is it a big deal one way or other?

·
Registered
470 Posts
That's like asking "what truck should I buy, Ford or Chevy. Your going to get many different opinions. Buy whatever you want, and what balances well in your hand, and then hope you don't have to send it back to Ruger to be fixed.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have the 357 convertible in the 4-5/8". It did feel more comfortable to me than the longer barrels, even with the flat tops, but there weren't as many choices as with the 45. I think it all comes down to personal preference.

You'll also have to decide on stainless or blued. So many decisions to make. That's why you can't just have one.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I much prefer the shorter barrels. But, as noted, it's personal preference. Given the chance to handle both it should not be an issue. Whichever feels better balanced to you.

·
Registered
797 Posts
As said it all comes down to personal preference. I like shorter barrels on all revolvers. I do have a 5.5 inch 45 convertible Bisley and like it but it is a little on the heavy side for belt carry. At least for my preference.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Personal preference all the way. I personally, I like the look of 5 1/2". Feels right, carries ok, and the weight difference (~1" of barrel) is negligible. Plus you just have a little more sight radius to work with.

Reactions: sandog

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Like the others have said, it’s an individual thing. Handle as many guns as you can get your hands on and see which one feels the best in your hand. My preference is the original Vaquero in .45lc with the 4 5/8 barrel. I like the weight and it balances very well in my hand.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
M721 I think that both 4-5/8 & 5-1/2 are both very nice sizes's. Is there a way you might be able to try both size's revolvers say renting them at a shooting range etc. Or if I friend might have one you could try. Also your purpose of use?? With the right holster the 4-5/8 revolver could be used for a CCW gun. I have Ruger Vaquero's in the same caliber .357 Magnum in 5.5 & a Ruger Vaquero Sheriffs Model with a 3-3/4 inch barrel in .357. My 5.5 Vaquero has a Bisley grips vs the regular grip on the Sheriffs Model. The longer barreled revolver will handle the recoil better and higher muzzle velocity vs the 4-5/8 revolver. But not that much & the 4-5/8 will be nicer in a holster for extended carry. I think your caliber choice is great because both .45LC & .45acp there are some decent defensive load's. Plus a big advantage in .45acp cheaper to shoot. I think I would be more inclined to choose the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible with the 4-5/8 barrel for either a truck gun CCW or even hunting revolver the 4-5/8 barrel is a great choice. BTW my Sheriffs Model with the 3-3/4 barrel I like it more then my Vaquero Bisley because it handles so nice & works very nice with a strong side belt holster. Well enough of my thoughts good luck to you!!!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,100 Posts
I like a 4 5/8" in blued conventional Blackhawks because the grip frame is made of aluminum alloy and is much lighter. This makes the gun balance quite well. With stainless conventional Blackhawks, the grip frame is made of stainless steel and is much heavier so a 6 1/2" in a conventional model or a 5 1/2" in a flattop feel really good to me. I do not own a 5 1/2" flattop yet .... but it's on my list.

I shoot my 7 1/2" Blackhawks better than the shorter barrel but it is a trade off .... a little better accuracy and velocity versus easier handling. The one I carry will depend on my intended use.

·
Registered
534 Posts
4 5/8" or 5 1/2" in NM Blackhawk?

Always wanted a Ruger SA and having followed this forum for some time am getting closer to taking the plunge. I was originally focused on .44 magnum, but have decided to go with .45 Colt/.45 APC convertible instead. After getting past the choice of caliber issue, I'm now struggling with barrel length. Inclined to go 5 1/2", but some of you have said the shorter barrel balances much better in the .45 BH. Not particularly concerned with loss of MV in the shorter version. What should I have in mind when I get to the LGS and actually handle the two barrel lengths? Or is it a big deal one way or other?

I opted for the 5-1/2” because I wanted to give handgun hunting another go, my state requires 5” min barrel.

If my convertible was strictly a plinking gun I may have chosen the shorter barrel but so far the 5-1/2” hasn’t been a hindrance so I’m pleased all the way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have both 4 5/8" and 5.5" Ruger New Vaquero's and if I had to choose the 4 5/8" is what would stay.

The gun feels like it's part of my hand.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
In 1972 I bought a 6 1/2 inch Blackhawk because it was the only BH the dealer had in stock and he agreed to take $75.00 for it (that was all I had in my pockets ).
I really wanted a 4 5/8 but the price was right and I believed I would learn to love it....
well I came to accept the 6 1/2 inch bbl. but never learned to love it .
I have never given up wanting a 4 5/8 inch one.
Get the 4 5/8 inch one.... have no regrets.

My avatar is the 1972 6 1/2 inch Blackhawk, I still have it , never did get the barrel shortened . I love it because it is my first handgun and the only Blackhaw I own but I still wish it had a 4 5/8 inch barrel .
Gary....I got one regret.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think a Blackhawk with a 5.5" barrel, unfluted cylinder and a Bisley handle is the nicest looking single action out there.

Wish they made a .44 magnum in that configuration.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the 7.5" model the 5.5" Bisley model, and the 4-5/8" model all in 45 Colt. Out of all three models I carry the 4 5/8" the most as it's lighter and just balances better for me. If i'm going to be shooting a steady diet of heavy loads then the 5.5" Bisley gets the nod.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts