Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
4" security six value help

Hey guys-
Just needed some quick advice and I know this is where to get it. Have my .357 lcr and now have a friend selling a 4" security six. I have yet to see it and get more info, but reports are its like new and is selling for $300. I'm thinking of getting this for my wife for home protection. Assuming it would also shoot .38s? She isn't overly recoil sensitive so we'll see what she thinks.
Anyhow just wondering what pricing looks like. I know that depends on year, metal type and such, just looking for some general info since I only have a day until I go look at it.
Any models to stay away from? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hey guys-
Just needed some quick advice and I know this is where to get it. Have my .357 lcr and now have a friend selling a 4" security six. I have yet to see it and get more info, but reports are its like new and is selling for $300.

That sounds like a fair price if the gun is in good condition

·
Registered
342 Posts
Security Six could be .38 Special only, or .357 which also chambers .38 Special.
There are some, more rare, that are chambered or modified for 9mm.

Came in barrels both shorter, and longer than 4", which seems to be most common in the aftermarket.

They were made from 1972-88, so 1975 is early in production. The Security Six has less recoil than the LCR.

$300 is a decent price, if it is, indeed, "like new condition."​

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If it is in decent condition, that is a good price. The security six is stoutly built and will have much less perceived recoil, especially with 38s, than your LCR. I would buy it for that price. If you decided you didn't like it, you should be able to resell it at a small profit.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
If it's in good shape mechanically for $300 is a good price...

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
If it's in good shape, that's a decent price. Mine is stainless steel and I paid more than that for it.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Invest in precious metals, get it! :)

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
If it is in decent condition, that is a good price. The security six is stoutly built and will have much less perceived recoil, especially with 38s, than your LCR. I would buy it for that price. If you decided you didn't like it, you should be able to resell it at a small profit.
I would do the deal if in good shape. I bought my stainless for about $250 in the early 80s and my wife appropriated it. :eek: She loves shooting .38 wadcutters, not so much the .357 125gr hollow points. The recoil isn't so much that if she had to use it she would be accurate. A gunsmith friend did a trigger job that pulls like satin.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would do the deal if in good shape. I bought my stainless for about $250 in the early 80s and my wife appropriated it. :eek: She loves shooting .38 wadcutters, not so much the .357 125gr hollow points. The recoil isn't so much that if she had to use it she would be accurate. A gunsmith friend did a trigger job that pulls like satin.
What exactly is a wad cutter?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. The Six is a solid choice.

What exactly is a wad cutter?
A wadcutter is a lead bullet with a flat to semi-flat nose, great for punching clear round holes in paper targets (very accurate).

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
A wadcutter is a special-purpose flat-fronted bullet specially designed for shooting paper targets, usually at close range and at subsonic velocities typically under approximately 900 ft/s (274 m/s). Wadcutters have also found favor for use in self-defense guns, such as .38 caliber snub-nosed revolvers, where due to short barrel lengths, maximum bullet velocities are usually low, typically under 900 ft/s (274 m/s), and improved lethality is desired. Wadcutters are often used in handgun and airgun competitions.
Wadcutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 - 17 of 17 Posts