Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking through the Ruger catalog I noticed no .40 cals only 9mm & .45 cal in pistols with 1 10mm. You think .40 cal is dead with Ruger? I've noticed that other mfgs have been releasing some but not all new models in .40 cal. I've always kind of favored the 40 over the 9 & 45 and really like Rugers so am I out of luck with buying new pistols from Ruger or do you think they'll come up with something in the future? The SR 40 is one of the nicest shooting guns (for me) and was looking forward to the next model.

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
I don't know if it's dead to Ruger but some shooting friends seem to think it is as a general opinion ...

I'm keeping my P series in 40 ...

·
Registered
122 Posts
its tiring to hear so called "gun experts" on YouTube, ha-ha. that call it .40 Smith and Breaker. its a great round and I love shooting it. I have .40cal handguns and they all shoot great. I don't think It will be phased out anytime soon.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
The .40 S&W cartridge is far from dead but it is clearly not the flavor of the month and there is a large inventory of used pistols chambered in that caliber currently on the market. So gun makers are dropping production of new .40 pistols because of a soft market.

That may change in the future. There are lots of folks who like the cartridge, including myself.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like .40, and though it's out of fashion right now (probably because some FBI recruits had trouble shooting it), it may make a comeback. Not too long ago 10 mm seemed to be on the way out.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
40 will be around but not dominant like it was. For several yeas the glock 22 in 40 was the most sold police gun in the us now much more competition from newer 9 looads.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,688 Posts
The .40 S&W is still a good option in a defensive pistol. I can see the handgun manufacturers having a hard time selling new ones with all the police trade in Glocks, M&P's, Berettas and Sigs hitting the market. The agency's need to get recruits qualified for minimum expenditure is pushing the resurgence of the 9mm. It is easy to shoot, and training ammo is cheap. I still like the .40 for the large magazine capacity of standard size pistols, and the "thump" of 180gr bullets.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm a little different then some of you, I like the 40, but in pocket pistols. The 40 S&W Shield and the Walther PPS are 2 of my favorite pistols. I'd like to get an SR40c but I never see any for sale around here.
I'm watching what 40 ammo prices do with these changes in the pistol availability. I hope prices drop, then some might give the 40 a try and come to love it.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I just bought my 4th .40 S&W. Picked up a Springfield EMP4 this week. Plus I’m not a fan of the 9mm. I think the .40 in the 180 grain variety is a much better round.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
The .40 is not dead. Ruger may not be making any pistols currently, it they are making the PC carbine in .40 S&W. So, Ruger has not given it up completely. I suspect that as many have said it’s an availability issue with many police departments following the FBI’s move back to the 9mm. I suspect that once the LEO trade-ins have made their way through the market, you will see Ruger take another look at bringing a .40 pistol back to market. Also, if you are a .40 fan, watch for ammo. I won two cases of Winchester Ranger .40 S&W for $0.06 per round on gunbroker. Law enforcement department liquidating old ammo stock when they made the move back to 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
They may not be making new models, but the SR40 & 40c are still available for sale new.

·
Super Moderator
21,265 Posts
For SD I like either the .40 S&W or 45 ACP. I prefer bullets that will penetrate. Unfortunately it is tough finding a .40 in a true sub-compact so I wind up with a 9 MM for a pocket pistol. It's too bad manufacturers are trying to dictate calibers because of a vocal crowd that thinks the 9 MM is superior to anything and everything. It isn't. I don't know if it's a reduced recoil thing or if the gang that couldn't shoot straight needs 18 rounds. I own 2 handguns in .40 and if I could find a pocket pistol above 2 shots in .40 I would give it a hard look. May have to get the .357 mags out of the safe. ;)

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Interestingly, the .40 S&W is going out of fashion in police circles, which might explain why it seems to be fading away.

One of the few advantages to being as old as I’ve gotten is that I can remember when police departments switched from (mostly) .38 Spec and .357 Mag revolvers to the “wonder nines” because they wanted more capacity. Later - especially after the disastrous FBI shoot-out in Florida - they all wanted more “stopping power” and switched to the .40 S&W (with some, including the FBI, taking a brief side-trip to the 10mm Auto).

Now, after the people who had been there during the “wonder nine” era have retired, the department’s are going back to 9mm. The arguments I hear are “less recoil” (easier to get new officers trained - easier for officers to qualify annually) and “greater capacity”.

The great circle of calibers repeats itself... It’s the ancient struggle between “ease of use” and “stopping power”, both of which are semi-mythical beasts.

My department is starting to issue new officers the Glock 17 (again); the officers previously issued Glock 22s can either keep them or trade them in for a Glock 17. I’m the fossil on the roster, because I carry a Glock 20 (10mm Auto). I have no problem qualifying with it, but I also shoot at least once a week, whereas a lot of officers only fire their weapons two or three times a year, at mandatory training sessions and annual qualification.

I don’t think the .40 S&W is going to disappear, but I suspect that it will be less popular now that police departments are moving back to the 9mm.

Jim

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
For SD I like either the .40 S&W or 45 ACP. I prefer bullets that will penetrate. Unfortunately it is tough finding a .40 in a true sub-compact so I wind up with a 9 MM for a pocket pistol. It's too bad manufacturers are trying to dictate calibers because of a vocal crowd that thinks the 9 MM is superior to anything and everything. It isn't. I don't know if it's a reduced recoil thing or if the gang that couldn't shoot straight needs 18 rounds. I own 2 handguns in .40 and if I could find a pocket pistol above 2 shots in .40 I would give it a hard look. May have to get the .357 mags out of the safe. ;)

The argument I hear is that, with modern bullets, the 9mm is just as effective as the .40 S&W was... what is left out is that, with modern bullets, the .40 S&W is still more effective than the 9mm with modern bullets.

The fact is, neither round is magical and neither will routinely provide “one-shot stops” in aggressive (or drug-addled) attackers. Especially out of a sub-compact pistol.

I sometimes carry a Glock 27 (.40 S&W), but for summer-time concealment, I have to go with the Ruger LC9. Given how sharply the bigger Glock 27 recoils, I’m not sure I’d want to shoot an LC9-sized .40 S&W...

Jim

·
Registered
249 Posts
The cheap surplus guns may lead to a resurgence of the .40....amongst civilians.
I’ll use myself as an example. I’ve been satisfied with 9mm since before there was a .40, or even a 10mm. Tried lots of calibers (including .40), but always had a nine.
But, I couldn’t ignore the cheap surplus, and bought a like new Gen4 G22 with night sights for $300.
What a great shooting pistol! I really don’t get the “snappy .40” comments. I already shoot a G17 and G26 with +P or +P+ 9mm, and the G22 didn’t seem much different to me...in other words, negligeable. The Gen4 recoil spring may have something to do with that.
In any case, it has quickly become my house pistol, loaded with 180gn HST.
On a certain forum I visit, the 9mm true believer cult is almost insufferable, and I say that as someone who has carried a 9mm since forever.

Attachments

·
Major
1,624 Posts
Taurus has several .40 pistols in their catalog. My PT140 Pro is my winter carry gun, loaded with Federal 165gr. HST LE.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,688 Posts
I totally agree with the last two posts. The "improved bullets" argument for the 9mm always makes me smile. Like the manufacturers don't apply that technology to other projectile diameters too. The same goes for the "snappy recoil " of the .40S&W. My Glock 22 is very easy to shoot. I can see the 9mm being better in a subcompact pistol, but I regularly shoot a compact Glock in 10mm that handles great. I guess growing up in the magnum revolver era taught me to handle recoil in a handgun

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been a fan of the 40 since it came out. I've been carrying an SR 40 for awhile and have been summer carrying a Taurus 740 every summer for the past 4 years. The 740 is a single stack 6+1 in .40cal about the size of my wife's EC9. Some call it harsh to shoot but I don't think it's any worse than the LCP in .380. It's not a gun I put 100 rounds through in a day but it's not bad enough that i don't shoot 50 rounds through it every weekend. I'm hoping the SR40c inventories last into this summer when I'm ready to buy again. If not I look into the S&W M&Ps or Taurus has come out with the TH40 in compact that's hammer fired but I REALLY want an an SR40c.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have a couple of 40's. both are Rugers. A P944 pistol & a PC4. I have thousands of rounds of ammo as well. Targetsports USA has some great sales on 40 ammo and with ammo prices so low, and lots of Police trade-ins. Now is a great time to try a 40!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just checked: ruger.com still shows 40's for sale. They are in the SR Series of guns. I've got the SR40c that I've been shooting for 4+ years, and I love it.
"Fits like a glove". :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts