Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,622 Posts
I suggest you find a couple of types/weights of name brand defensive loads. Shoot them in your gun to make sure they function. Carry the load that proves more accurate while being reliable. The current ammo shortage makes it difficult to find any one particular load. It's also true that what's "best" in someone else's pistol may not be in yours.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just picked up a Ruger Sr40c and been considering conceal carrying it! What type of ammo do you guys suggest I carry/you carry in your firearm?
In my SR40 the Hornaday Critical Defense, American Gunner and Sig Sauer V-Crown showed good expansion in our home meat target test. Surprisingly Winchester white box hollow points and Remington green & yellow box hollow points worked pretty good too. I can't remember what finished last but my brother brought some Buffalo Bore over and I remember not being overly impressed with them. I think just because of the cost. Over all the my SR feeds anything I've put through it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
40 cal is one of those cartridges where just about all manufacturers put out a product with decent performance. Even the cheap Winchester White Box 180 gr JHP "Personal Protection" in the 50 rd boxes puts out some impressive results in a full sized handgun.

Your SR9C has a similar barrel length to the Glock27 used in the tests linked below. While these results are good for generalized info, keep in mind these tests were done only once and using only 5 cartridges from a single box. "Past performance is no guarantee of future results" comes to mind.

My personal recommendation? Whatever you can find enough of to adequately test function in your firearm. It does no good to buy 'the best' if you can't purchase it in enough quantity to verify it functions well in your pistol (that's ideally going to be at least 50-100+ rounds, so at least a few boxes).

I like Fed Hydra-Shoks and Sig V-Crown. Both are usually less expensive and provide generally good performance. The Hydra-shoks aren't quite as impressive as the HST but you can often find them about 20-30% cheaper (although currently on ammo seek it appears hydra-shoks are trending over a dollar with HSTs closer to 70 cents... crazy world we live in).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Years ago, when the then Border Patrol used the .40, there were many stories about how effective the 155 grain loads they used were. They were using Beretta 96s, and were getting around 1200 fps for close to 500 ft lbs of muzzle energy. That swayed my decision. I have quite a few full sized and compact .40 pistols, and use 155 grain JHPs by Remington, Winchester, and Speer at around 1200 FPS in my full sized, and 135 grain Corbon JHPs at around 1300 FPS in my compacts.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,425 Posts
The three most popular bullet weights for a 40 S&W are 155gr, 165gr, and 180gr. The lightest 155gr bullets develop the most velocity and energy however the 180gr bullets develop the highest momentum. I like the 165gr because they have the best combination of momentum and energy and their performance will put any 9mm bullet to shame, no matter what brand or style.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was wondering how is Hornady critical Duty?
Critical Duty is a great round for LEO who typically use a 'full size' handgun. Critical Duty does not perform as well in short barrels like the SR40C. It would not advise it's use in a short barreled handgun.

This test demonstrates that.

vs critical DEFENSE

·
Banned
1,716 Posts
I use federal +p 165gr jhp as they chrono 1200 fps out a SW99c or a bit better in my Glock 22. I will have to switch soon when I shoot next time around as I can't find anymore.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sig makes the best expanding hollow point I’ve ever tested. I’ve captured quite a few bullets and every one I’ve captured had perfect expansion every time. Leaves huge wound cavities. I measured the expansion from a 9mm at just over .7”

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve always carried the Winchester Ranger T-Series JHPs by recommendation of a LEO buddy years ago.

I’m sure the prices are much higher now but ammunitiondepot.com runs specials from time to time when a PD switches over from 40 to 9mm. A few years back I picked up 500 rounds of “new old stock” law enforcement trade in ammo for $150.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I do not own a 40 but if I did, and of course if it functioned ok, I would load it with either Speer Gold Dots or the Federal HST, both of which have excellent reputations. Unless you can get Underwood's loading of the Lehigh Extreme Defender bullet, which I now have loaded in all of my SD pistols. The Underwood is always my first choice but I wouldn't feel the least undergunned with either of the other 2.
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
30 Posts
i had a SR40 yrs ago that ran good with Federal Hydra-Shok.. But thats what i have in all my SD / HD guns. It runs good in everything for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I run Hornady Critical Duty
We never tried those but don't know have no doubt they'd work good in my SR40. Have to see if I can scrounge a few up by the end of the month when I pick my steer up and clean the lid meat out of the freezer and send them into a meat target.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts