Ruger Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I carry a S&W M&P 40 Elite. 4.25" barrel. The first 2 rounds are Glasser Safety Slugs. The rest are 185gr. Hornady CD. The Glasser's won't over penetrate. After that. I don't care.

Reactions: SR40Ohio

·
Registered
133 Posts
In MAs Ayoob's LFI class, he suggested we ask a local police officer about the ammunition the department issues their officers. Why? Well, if you ever have to defend yourself, and have to testify and are asked why you chose a specific ammunition, you can testify that you asked your local police department, and if the ammunition was good enough for them it was good enough for you...

·
Registered
226 Posts
In MAs Ayoob's LFI class, he suggested we ask a local police officer about the ammunition the department issues their officers. Why? Well, if you ever have to defend yourself, and have to testify and are asked why you chose a specific ammunition, you can testify that you asked your local police department, and if the ammunition was good enough for them it was good enough for you...
Massad Ayoob is no doubt one of the preeminent experts on legal on use of force. I wouldn't seek to contradict his advice as though I'm a greater authority.

That said, I've heard a viewpoint that suggested using the same gear as the cops can allow yourself to be painted as a wanna-be cop or a gun ho troublemaker.

Optics aside, the cartridges used by LEO in their full size handgun sometimes deliver very poor performance in the sort of short-barreled/compact firearms that many civilians prefer for CCW

·
Registered
269 Posts
Stick with factory ammo labeled as self defense and you won’t have a problem. “It says it right on the box” is your defense of your ammo choice. It’s real hard to argue with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Paul Harrell makes a pretty good case for using standard hollow point loads. The expesive "defensive" rounds seem to have little if any performance advantage. I've watched a lot of Paul's vids and it seems that Reminton green and white box is as good as any and better than most.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just Hornady Critical Duty for slightly more penetration. But I also like Critical Defense.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts