Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a 40 carbine for whitetail deer. I have a spot to hunt where I can't use a rifle and I am not getting good accuracy out of slugs. I know it is not good out of a pistol but many claim that a 10mm is enough. The carbine has the same ballistics as a 10.

I would like actual reports if anyone has used one of the carbines for hunting.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
If you can't use a rifle, why do you think you can use a .40 caliber carbine rifle? Rifles often have capacity limits for hunting. Do you have a magazine that would meet this criteria? (Usually, it is a five round maximum capacity.)

I see a couple of problems. The first I've already stated. The second is finding hunting ammunition in .40 caliber.

You say you can't get good accuracy out of slugs. What is your setup? What kind of barrel, choke, etc.? Have you tried a couple of brands of slugs? Changed the choke? What kind of accuracy are you getting with slugs? Some slugs (Brenneke comes to mind) have a plastic "tail" that helps keep them stabilized; others are plain Foster slugs; others are sabot slugs designed for rifled barrels; there are slugs that are also designed for a smooth barrel with a rifled choke.

I know I haven't answered your question but hopefully I've given you some food for thought. :D

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Skip the 40.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
40S&W out of a pistol can kill deer too, only slightly better out of a carbine.

Lots of better options, but for short range hunting, it works.

It's exceedingly difficult to find a proper bullet for the task, however. Most defensive 40cal bullets are too soft to get good penetration on deer.

I would tend to recommend against it, but I'm not one to be hypocritical. I've killed deer with 40S&W and 9mm pistols and carbines - it'll do it if you find the right bullet, be judicious about your shot selections, and limit your shots to 50yrds or less (maybe way less).

I'd agree also - it doesn't make any sense that you have an area in which you can't use a rifle, but could use a pistol-cartridge carbine - legally, a carbine is a rifle...

·
Registered
76 Posts
If I were to use a .40 for hunting, I would use 180gr Hornady XTP bullets.

The XTP bullet has greater penetration than other hollow point type bullets, plus if you reload and use Longshot powder you can get really good velocity/energy with rather low chamber pressure ([email protected],300psi with 4" barrel). I'm sure a carbine would get even higher velocity.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
If you are wanting to use a pistol caliber why not go with anything in a nice lever action in .357magnum, .41 magnum , .44 magnum, .45LC instead. Best of whats mentioned would be the .44 magnum. Personally I would like to try this out I have 2 lever action rifles in .357 magnum. But thats just a thought my hiking days are mostly a thing of the past!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shipped have been a little more clear on describing the situation. It is not a legal thing on the rifle. The land owner does not want high powered rifle rounds. I know I won't be able to take any longer shots with a 40 but I know my accuracy will be better than with a slug out of a smooth bore shotgun. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
40S&W out of a pistol can kill deer too, only slightly better out of a carbine.

Lots of better options, but for short range hunting, it works.

It's exceedingly difficult to find a proper bullet for the task, however. Most defensive 40cal bullets are too soft to get good penetration on deer.

I would tend to recommend against it, but I'm not one to be hypocritical. I've killed deer with 40S&W and 9mm pistols and carbines - it'll do it if you find the right bullet, be judicious about your shot selections, and limit your shots to 50yrds or less (maybe way less).

I'd agree also - it doesn't make any sense that you have an area in which you can't use a rifle, but could use a pistol-cartridge carbine - legally, a carbine is a rifle...
What bullets did you use and were they clean kills?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
At the time, I was using a bonded Gold Dot Hunting 180grn - the GDH now being replaced by the Deep Curl line, but it doesn't appear that there's a Deep Curl made in 40cal anymore.

"Clean Kills?" Yes. DRT drops? No. They all traveled a bit, but they all died quickly. Never had an exit wound, so tracking wouldn't have been easy.

Like I said, I wouldn't recommend it - I'll pass on my experience that it's not a good weapon for deer. A wrench can drive a nail, but you wouldn't buy a wrench for that purpose - you'd buy a hammer.

A 357mag, 44mag, or 45colt levergun is a better option. A rifled shotgun would be a better option. A 45-70 levergun an even better option. A 40S&W can still fly over a mile, and you wouldn't pick up much additional range with any of these options mentioned here.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I shipped have been a little more clear on describing the situation. It is not a legal thing on the rifle. The land owner does not want high powered rifle rounds. I know I won't be able to take any longer shots with a 40 but I know my accuracy will be better than with a slug out of a smooth bore shotgun. Thanks for the replies.
From a few things I've read on .40 caliber carbines, your assumption that it is more accurate than a slug out of a smooth bore may not be correct.

I got 1 3/4" groups out of my shotgun at 50 yards. That is easily minute of deer. I admit this is with a rifled barrel and sabots. Most groups I have seen with smooth bore barrels are about 3" or 4" at 50 yards, also minute of deer.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I would VASTLY recommend either getting a rifled slug barrel for your pump shotgun, getting a dedicated slug gun, or just using slugs in your existing smooth bore 12 gauge barrel.

Similiar to the laws in states like NJ, where only buckshot or slugs are legal for deer season, so most people just use rifled slug barrels.

If you want a real sporting challenge just pick up an in-line muzzleloader, you can get one of the T/C inlines or other brands at Gander Mt. for a couple hundred bucks. You can use Maxi Bullets that have been dropping deer for decades.

Unless you already have a .40 carbine, I would not buy one just for hunting deer.......I'm picturing something like a Hi-Point .40 Carbine, since no .40 bolt action rifle exists to my knowledge.

I have read about people using 10mm Glocks for deer hunting but I ask "why"......In my opinion a .357 revolver is marginal for clean kills on larger game. A .357 carbine at least bumps velocity up enough.

The land owner doesn't want "high powered rifles", but a .40 will travel over 2 miles and isn't any "safer" than something like a .243 or .204 Ruger, which are considered probably the lightest rounds you can use for deer and still be sporting and humane.

A clean kill is every hunters obligation, I don't feel a .40 will produce a quick, clean sporting kill on a deer.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have never used the 40 on a deer but have heard of others successfully doing so. I have used a 357 handgun on deer and a couple bears. Made them very dead. Complete pass through on the deer and the bears I never bothered to look. While not my top choice it will get it done and I think a 40 would too especially in a carbine. A deer is not especially hard to kill given good shot placement. If I had a carbine and was required to use it I would not hesitate to do so within reasonable range. A tracking job will likely be necessary but that happens at times no matter what you use. Part of the hunt.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I do not recommend the use of .40 caliber for hunting deer, especially Tennessee deer, because there are better choices that will accomplish your goal. I have two lever action rifles that shoot pistol calibers, a .45 Colt and a .44 magnum and either would be a better choice for you. I recommend soft point bullets that are heavy for caliber, I load 300 grain SP's for both calibers, for better penetration. If you do not reload, there more SP choices for both the .45 and .44 over the .40. Both the .44 and .45 are good for 100 yards.........robin

·
Registered
780 Posts
The 40 will kill a deer just fine, not my first choice, but use a 180 grain bonded bullet and get it into the heart/lung area, emphasis on the heart area or you may have to track it a bit. 40 S&W bonded can give you up to 19" penetration with good mushroom effect. It's like a 38-40, formerly a common deer getter within 100 yards out of lever carbines. 45 ACP works just fine too and 9mm, deer aren't that hard to kill with proper shot placement.

·
Registered
537 Posts
old post I believe a well placed 40s&w at 10mm vel. will drop most small game but a 44mag. carbine would do a much better job for you and the animal. Plus I know out here your mag. size comes into play. I don't long gun hunt but I believe it's a 3 round mag. limit .

Just a heads up 80 gr. 40s&w /10mm. not 180gr no room for powder:eek:

·
Registered
913 Posts
I know my 40 carbine is very accurate out to 100 yards.....i've taken out some small creatures, but a deer Wow! that's thinking outside the box................but I guess it would work? A Bonded bullet like a 180 grain PDX1 should do the job if you had to use it.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Just a heads up 80 gr. 40s&w /10mm. not 180gr no room for powder:eek:
Um... No... 40S&W's shoot 180grn bullets - that's one hundred eighty grains - not 80grn bullets... No typo... One eight zero.

I've never even heard of an 80grn 40cal bullet. An 80grn 40cal hockey puck shaped lead bullet wouldn't even be 1/4" long - a guy couldn't physically make a lead bullet that light in 40cal, as having any ogive on the bullet would eliminate the bearing surface and it'd tumble down the bore. An 80grn bullet in 40cal can't happen with copper and lead...

·
Registered
767 Posts
if your shotgun is smoothbore you need an open choke to get best accuracy. Tennessee, however, has no maximum ammo capacity restriction and you can use any centerfire so long as its not FMJ or tracer. Statewide you're allowed two antlered deer a season .. out here in Western TN we are also allowed 3 non-antlered deer per day with no limit per season. That's allowed me to experiment with a lot of calibers and I think if the landowner allows it your carbine would be adequate - but ASK him - I have a hunch that he doesn't want rifle use because of the neighbors. Tell him you plan to be in the woods with a pistol cartridge and don't shoot further than 50yds. A good double tap with the heavies mentioned above will do the job if you do yours. Meantime save some $ and get a used 30/30 which is all you need in this state.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts