Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the accuracy load (1020 fps) with the 405 grain 44 cal. bullet and sent it through nine one gallon water jugs. This was to compare this bullet with the same test that had been done with a "known" penetrator and large dangerous game stopper: the 425 grain 45-70 bullet at 1850 fps. This load in the 45-70 penetrated nine water filled one gallon jugs and lodged in the last jug...the bullet was recovered from inside that 9th jug. The 405 grain bullet shot from my Redhawk at the 1020 fps velocity, was shot at the 9 jugs at the same distance, and penetrated all of the jugs, continued down range another 30 yards, and imbedded itself in the 50 yard backstop. We tried to dig out the bullet from where it had hit the backstop, but, never did find it! So, at this point we feel that the 405 grain bullet at 1000 fps is showing good signs of being able to perform the function that the load was intended for.....a large dangerous game back up round for a revolver. I also made a target that indicated the minimum and maximum sizes of a bears skull....not the entire head, and indicated a "brain sized skull shot" on the target. I fired five rapid fire rounds DA at the target at 20 yards with the 405 load. One "hit" was in the mouth, 3 hits in the brain, and one shot pulled off target (a large bears brain is not all that large). Keeping in mind, that I am not at all familiar with shooting this Redhawk in double action mode, I thought that to be pretty respectable. More practice with the Redhawk in DA should improve that. This weekend I hope to get out to do a trajectory plot, just to see how flat this 405 will fly at the 1000 fps velocity. If the trajectory is reasonable within handgun distances, then , there may be some hope that this bullet and load will not only be good for close range back up, but, as a hunting round as well. For those of you that are interested, stay tuned for future updates.................By the way, a buddy of mine accompanied me on this test, and I offered to let him shoot the 405. He is not used to magnum handguns....he shoots only the 45 ACP. He ripped off a round at a target, and turned to me and said "that is not as bad as I thought it would be, matter of fact, the recoil is not that bad at all.....considering the weight of the bullet! He felt that there was a controllability factor that would allow for quick follow up shots in double action. More to come!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Flatop, I have been trying to keep up with this load development but have I missed a post or two? Did you post some loads/recipes yet? Where do the 405's come from? Got any videos showing recoil? Pix of front of the cylinder showing the length loaded in the chambers? Just a few questions here, thanks. :) Is this a 45 Colt bullet or 44? Maybe I am all wrong here, looking for 45 Colt info with the 405 grain bullets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts