Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've long been wanting a somewhat lighter alternative to my favorite .41 mag Redhawk w/5.5" barrel. For some time now I've been contemplating building a 5 shot Security Six in .41 mag for every day carry in the woods and otherwise. It would be quite a bit lighter than my Redhawk and easier to pack. I've been measuring the Security Six and some rather drastic modifications would have to be made to accommodate the full length .41 mag cartridge. All of the frame room would have to be taken up by the cylinder and the end of the forcing cone would have to be in the very rear of the frame, but would allow enough full diameter barrel to retain more than enough strength. I'd think 3" to 4" would be ideal on barrel length. Naturally I'd have to make my own custom cylinder. What do yall think? Sound like a worthy project folks?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
A few problems, a 41 needs a python sized frame. The barrel needs to be a certain thickness, the barrel receiver a certain thickness at the forcing cone. Plus the stop cuts are offset for a six chamber cylinder. Five shots would move the cuts over the chambers.

A GP100 has a 41 frame, and probably could handle a six shot 41 magnum. The smith L frame with a 5 shot cylinder would easily work, as there is already a 5 shot 44 magnum L frame.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have heard of .41 special conversions, and even a 10mm conversion, possibly Clements gunsmithing? It would be a great packing gun in any event.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with WalkingWolf, you would need a Beefer frame and components for that cartridge. I had a Redhawk like yours but unfourtunitly it was stolen a few months back and as you know the .41 can be a handful, really needs the weight for that type of recoil. Anyway that's just my 2 cents and certainly not trying to discourage you in your project. Good luck and whatever you come up with, certianly interested in the process and final results.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I think it would work. Keep us updated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts