Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting one or the other. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the matter. What are the pros and cons of each caliber? Pics are always welcome. :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
754 Posts
That is exactly the way I started out.
( wanting "one or the other" ) Several Years later, & having gotten several of each, I'd still like one "and ??</u>" the other.
But I have about all I can afford, at least for a while.
Then on the other hand, if You see My forum name, it pretty much says it all, at least for Me.
If You don't reload, buy the 44. If You do, I just love my 41's.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,479 Posts
Both are top notch. When you consider all the parameters such as raw power, recoil, accuracy, range, you could argue in favor of either and not be wrong.

From a practical point ... the 41 Mag does not have an affiliated 41 Special like the 44 Mag has the 44 Special. This means one cylinder one cartridge for the 41 vs two cartridges for the 44. Ammo is getting expensive for both cartridges but typically you will pay more for 41 Mag ammo than for 44 Mags. There are way more different bullet weights and styles available for the 44 Mag. Even if you reload, there aren't near as many 41 cal bullets to choose from. My vote would go to the 44 Mag but not for performance reasons.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's 2 for the .44 from 2 highly respected members. I think it's going to be the .44. I'll still take time to look at any pics. :)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I have both and love both. The .41 is my favorite, although it can not duplicate the power of the .44 Mag. It does exactly what it was intended to do, however, and that is to bridge the gap between the .357 and the .44. It has all the power most folks need, and is more controllable. It is much harder to find ammo for, and that is why I reload it (actually I reload everything!) Here is a pic of my Old Model and a 10 shot target to show you what it can do:

Now, I aint saying I can do that all the time, but I was pretty dang happy with that gun and load! I have come close with my .44 Mag SBH (which is for sale by the way in the classifieds) but never quite as good as the .41.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That .41 is nice gunman. I was looking at your .44. I wish it was a shortie. I see you have 3 guns posted. 2 here and 1 at .com? Adding anything else?

·
Registered
46 Posts
if just one gun; guess what neither i would get a .45 colt;had a .41 and .44 which were just fine; but when it comes to versatility a blackhawk .45 does what either does and more just by bullet diameter!!!also can load them to surpass the .44 and download to just about mouseloads!!! this can be done at the retail level with cowboy loads andhigh end with buffalo bore and others the ruger has wonderful versatility i have a sheriff's model and a super redhawk which doesn't see many .454's as i am over that craze!!!shoot mostlymid to high end loads in the super redhawk and mid to low end loads in the blackhawk; probably doesn't answer your question but is food for thought!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the best! 45 Colt and a 41 Mag Blackhawks..........Can load the 45 near or equal the 44, and shoot 45acp's with my other cylinder. And 41 will handle anything I shoot with less recoil..............

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Bountyhunter

That .41 is nice gunman. I was looking at your .44. I wish it was a shortie. I see you have 3 guns posted. 2 here and 1 at .com? Adding anything else?
Not at the moment, although I will probably sell a Old Army before too long. I sold the convertable almost as soon as it was posted.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

quote:Originally posted by Bountyhunter

Not at the moment, although I will probably sell a Old Army before too long. I sold the convertable almost as soon as it was posted.
That was a great looking gun at a great price.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
There is just not enough following of the 41 Mag. That is really a shame to as its a fine cailber and will do all that is needed or wanted. Alot of the hipe if you ask me is that it was made faious in the dirty harry movies and I saw the price fly out of the roof over the S&W mod. 29 Have seen a 4 inch crome going for $1045.00 at a pawn shop in California back in the early 70's At that time I couldn't afford an S&W 29 and hand to settle for a SBH. Well needless to say I was hooked then. Ended up falling on hard times and had to sell it, and now have a new model with the 101/2 barrel also have a Super Red Hawk in the same cailber. Both are fine weapons. I have a stainless S&W mod. 657. good shooter too. I reload and I love the 44 mag as I can also shoot 44 sp. in it as well.
I love them both, I have both could I choose between the two no not really. 44 ammo is easeir to find and most times cheaper too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The .41 mag is what actually brought me to this forum. I was researching the the round and the appropriate blackhawk when I stumbled across this great site. I reload, it would be great if everyone could. I like the balistics of the round and the fact that it is different. I like different. I am saving for one right now and hope to have it with plenty of time to practice for next deer season. Everyone and his brother has a .44 so it can wait. I too would like to have both some day.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input guys. My thinking is that I'll end up with the one I find first. Then the one I find second. :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If you don't reload...44....44 Spl isn't too expensive...I've had 3 of the iron sights M58 4" .41....shot the lead loads after my first 3 bx. of JSP----I'd love to have done a conversion on the M58 to .44 Spl and rounded the butt....you buy either to shoot a big, honkin' bullet.....either does that well....Gunman, I thought the JSP at 1500 fps beat the fastest .44Mag load???? That was then and this IS now, though...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Go with a .45 Colt. Since you don't reload, you can buy factory rounds suitable for anything from mice to mastadoons. With the corresponding recoil level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just joined the forum and found this so I feel the need to stand up / pipe up for my favorite round/caliber. The .41 Magnum is just about everything the .44 is without the abusive recoil. The .44 is like a good swift kick and the .41 is like a good shove.
.41 magnum ammo is very exspensive and limited. It will force you to reload if you want to shoot more than once or twice a year. Bullet selection is limited and if you really want to go above 210/220 grain you will need to load cast bullets. It can be a VERY accurate round with the right load. If you reload, you can reload it up to some light .44 Magnum levels. I've never watched the bullets over a long distance but it is said it shoots flatter than a .44 Magnum. You get to a part of a small but cult like club. And hey, its a .41 Magnum. Be different!!
.44 ammo is a bit cheaper, more readily available and available with a wider selection of bullet weight/style. It can be very accurate in the right load. You get to be abused by recoil unless you are immune to it. You get to stand around when no one is home, look in the mirror and practice your Dirty Harry imitations!

Just by the .41 Magnum and join the rest of us devoted nut jobs!!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot about this thread. I've since bought a SBH in 44 Magnum. I came across it and it was a price I couldn't pass up. :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
BH
If you ever run into a 4 5/8 .41Mag don't pass it up. Shot my .44 this week twice. First time about tore my arm outa the socket and the second time to seach for a whimp load I can handle. .41 is much easier on these old bones.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts