Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
BH
If you ever run into a 4 5/8 .41Mag don't pass it up. Shot my .44 this week twice. First time about tore my arm outa the socket and the second time to seach for a whimp load I can handle. .41 is much easier on these old bones.
My 44 magnum definately hammers me. I put about 30 rounds thru it and that was good for me. I was shooting a couple of 22's at the same time. That might have been a mistake. From 22 to 44 magnum! :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
I tried shooting the same load my son uses in his 7.5 bbl. DID NOT work in the short barrel so I went from 19.3 gr of 2400 for a 240 LSWC down to 8.8 of Unique which is borderline tolerable. The difference in recoil with the shorter bbl is amazing.

.41 is a pleasure to shoot and very accurate. I need to find a reasonably priced Marlin in the same calibre.

Am also enjoying the s**t outa the .32 H&R Mag. Another "if ya see it buy it" recommendation. Without a doubt the .32 is my current favorite. Along with the .32 Mag Marlin I can shoot all day long with no physical harm and even hit the targets once in a while.
Chance

·
Count Ursunk
3,359 Posts
I like the 44 sbh for the availability of the ammo...44 spcl is rare though. Its all in the grip....you cant fight the recoil.

·
Super Moderator
21,835 Posts
My 44 magnum definately hammers me. I put about 30 rounds thru it and that was good for me. I was shooting a couple of 22's at the same time. That might have been a mistake. From 22 to 44 magnum! :D
BH:
I've got a spare set of Pachmyers for a SBH at home you can have when I get back to the cold country. They tame it right down so you can shoot the thumpers and ask for more.

Terry

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
BH:
I've got a spare set of Pachmyers for a SBH at home you can have when I get back to the cold country. They tame it right down so you can shoot the thumpers and ask for more.

Terry
I appreciate the offer, but I got rid of the ones that were on it when I got it. I gave them to someone here. I don't shoot it enough. I mainly bought the SBH so I could say I have one. Plus I didn't have any other .44's. I still don't. When I do take it out I'll only put about half a box thru it. I have a lot of .357's that need shooting. They take up all my range time. :D

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Bountyhunter, Don't overlook the fact that you can shoot .44Specials in the .44Mag. in choosing a sixgun. The use of .44Specials will be lots more pleasant than Magnums & since you said you don't reload, I'd go this route. Keep all your brass, you will probably reload in the future. Good shooting. Frank

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
I had a .44mag Taurus M44 w/8" ported barrel, and loved it. Due to the weight of the thing, it absorbed most of the recoil. I want to get one of these now:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Bountyhunter, Don't overlook the fact that you can shoot .44Specials in the .44Mag. in choosing a sixgun. The use of .44Specials will be lots more pleasant than Magnums & since you said you don't reload, I'd go this route. Keep all your brass, you will probably reload in the future. Good shooting. Frank

I got all the equipment I just haven't gottenm around to actually reloading anything yet. When I get to the 44 I'll load 180 grain.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had a .44mag Taurus M44 w/8" ported barrel, and loved it. Due to the weight of the thing, it absorbed most of the recoil. I want to get one of these now:

They had one just like this at my lgs and I wanted it, but was shopping for something else at the time. It didn't last long in there.

·
Super Moderator
21,835 Posts
I appreciate the offer, but I got rid of the ones that were on it when I got it. I gave them to someone here. I don't shoot it enough. I mainly bought the SBH so I could say I have one. Plus I didn't have any other .44's. I still don't. When I do take it out I'll only put about half a box thru it. I have a lot of .357's that need shooting. They take up all my range time. :D
I put a set of Herrett's on my SBH after I had a Red Dot scope mounted. When I used to shoot it with the stock grips and no scope it would slide in my hand and bite pretty good. I bought the Pachmyers and that made the recoil manageable. I also picked up another set when I got several grips at once on e-bay and they were included. They make life more bearable but if you're not shooting it you don't need them. I also shoot a heavier bullet and that stiffens the recoil especially when it's over a big load of 2400.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
They make life more bearable but if you're not shooting it you don't need them. I also shoot a heavier bullet and that stiffens the recoil especially when it's over a big load of 2400.
I shoot Blazer cheapos most the of time. When I do reload I'll make a lighter load. The .44 is just for the range on occasion. I read that a 180 grain bullet will cut recoil quite a bit.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Betcha can't guess what caliber I favor. I've had a .41 Mag. since I first heard about them. I went out looking for a S&W 657, 8 3/8" right away when I read about them, & have never been sorry. I don't currently have a Blackhawk .41, because I cannot find one in stainless. Last Year at the Harrisburg Show, I found a used .41 Hunter Model, but I just can't get past that UUUUUGGGGGGLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY barrell rib.

I currently have been shooting My 5 1/2" Super Blackhawk quite a bit, when I don't mind being pounded. I have used .44 Spl's in it, but if I really wanted to shoot .44 Spl. I'd have bought one. I've used the same load for over 30 years Hornady 200 Gr. "XTP now" over 28 Grains of WW 296 with a WW LP primer in the .44, & it is quite stout in the shorter Bbl.

There is nothing to keep You from using "lighter" reloads in a .41, but I've come to love the performance & accuracy of the .41 Magnum, with mostly factory equivalent 170 Gr. & 210 Gr. loads. Since the first time I loaned it to My Son-in-law to carry for Deer Season, I'm lucky to have it during season anyway. That's the reason I'm looking for a Blackhawk. I've almost decided to buy the Hunter, & have the barrell turned down & shortened to 4 5/8".

·
Super Moderator
21,835 Posts
28 Gr of 296 I'm guessing that gets your attention with a 5 1/2" bbl. My SBH does best with 21 gr of 2400 under a 240 gr JHP. With the 7 1/2" bbl and red dot the recoil isn't real noticable.

·
Super Moderator
16,322 Posts
GinaJG (and anyone else reading this) - Please refrain from creating Zombie threads. This thread is 14 years old and the OP hasn't been here for the past 13 years. Come on People!!!!!

Reactions: Mark204
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.