Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really sure where to put this as there isn't a shotgun section that I know of. This isn't really a range report either but rather a question about what I would expect at the range. The shotgun is a Winchester 9410 Packer with the 20 inch barrel and no chokes. I believe this model was designed for slugs but any .410 round that is 2 1/2 can be shot in it.

My question is what sort of pattern should I expect at 10, 25, and 50 yards with the ammo in the picture.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Sweet shotgun. I like that a lot.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,160 Posts
303lithgow, Winchester Mod 9410's without screw-in chokes are shipped with a Modified fixed choke. If you have a good caliper, you can measure the inside diameter at the muzzle. Cylinder = .410", IMP CYL = .405", Mod = .400", IMP MOD = .395", and Full = .390".

All the ammo you pictured will pattern about the same at each distance. Pattern size is controlled by the choke, not the size of the shot. For birds and small animals, about 25~30 yards would be the max range for a 2 1/2" 410. 50 yards is out of the question ... not enough pellet density and not enough energy per pellet to get a reliable kill.

Typical patterns for a 410 are the same as a larger gauge ... just fewer pellets. The "rule" for a pattern is 1 inch per yard for a full choke. In other words ... 10" @ 10 yards, 25" @ 25 yards, 50" @ 50 yards. Your Modified choke will pattern larger ... probably about 10% so a 25 yard pattern would be about 27.5". Pellets from a 410 are traveling at about the same velocity as larger gauge shotguns but you only have a fraction in pellet count. As an example, there are about 250 #6 pellets in a standard 12 Gauge 1 1/8 oz load. Your 410 2 1/2" shells have a 1/2 oz of shot so there are only about 110 pellets per shell in your center box. There will be more pellets per load in the # 7 1/2 shot and #8 shot but because the pellets are smaller, their effective range is shorter ... about 20 yards max.

Here's a good reference for chokes, pellet size, and target distance: Look at post #4 in this thread: http://rugerforum.net/ruger-shotguns/63760-old-double-barrel-fixed-choke-question.html

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
303lithgow, Winchester Mod 9410's without screw-in chokes are shipped with a Modified fixed choke. If you have a good caliper, you can measure the inside diameter at the muzzle. Cylinder = .410", IMP CYL = .405", Mod = .400", IMP MOD = .395", and Full = .390".

All the ammo you pictured will pattern about the same at each distance. Pattern size is controlled by the choke, not the size of the shot. For birds and small animals, about 25~30 yards would be the max range for a 2 1/2" 410. 50 yards is out of the question ... not enough pellet density and not enough energy per pellet to get a reliable kill.

Typical patterns for a 410 are the same as a larger gauge ... just fewer pellets. The "rule" for a pattern is 1 inch per yard for a full choke. In other words ... 10" @ 10 yards, 25" @ 25 yards, 50" @ 50 yards. Your Modified choke will pattern larger ... probably about 10% so a 25 yard pattern would be about 27.5". Pellets from a 410 are traveling at about the same velocity as larger gauge shotguns but you only have a fraction in pellet count. As an example, there are about 250 #6 pellets in a standard 12 Gauge 1 1/8 oz load. Your 410 2 1/2" shells have a 1/2 oz of shot so there are only about 110 pellets per shell in your center box. There will be more pellets per load in the # 7 1/2 shot and #8 shot but because the pellets are smaller, their effective range is shorter ... about 20 yards max.

Here's a good reference for chokes, pellet size, and target distance: Look at post #4 in this thread: http://rugerforum.net/ruger-shotguns/63760-old-double-barrel-fixed-choke-question.html
Thanks. Lotta information here. Should make hunting those milk jugs easy.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Very nice! Is that the 1 you where talking about ordering online a few weeks back?

Please let us know how the pattern/accuracy is. I like the front sight.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Very nice. Alot of fun to chase milk jugs and cans with. My experience has been that the fun diminishes at 25 yards.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice. Alot of fun to chase milk jugs and cans with. My experience has been that the fun diminishes at 25 yards.
I found that to be true today. I only shot five shots as I had other firearms to sight-in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts