Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been shopping around for a GP100 to send Clements for .41 Special conversion, but 4” 357s seem hard to come by right now.

I’m actually seeing better deals on the .44 Specials than .357s, which set me to wondering if maybe I should just grab one and put the .41 project on hold.

What’s the skinny on these? I see people carping about the forcing cone being too thin, but is that a real concern? Or are people trying to Elmerize them, or just another “a buddy of mine knows this guy…” legend?

I’d never load a .44 special over 25,000 PSI.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If Clements will warranty the conversion, I'd hold no reservation toward loading and shooting within his recommendation.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I don’t think Dave Clements is doing them anymore. Maybe for a longtime customer. He is semi-retired, and is being selective about the work that he takes on.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok my post might have been confusing.

I’ve been looking for a 4” .357 for a .41 special conversion, but not finding any that aren’t ridiculously priced. Yes, Clements still does that conversion.

What I have seen are some pretty good deals on factory .44 specials, but I’ve seen people knocking them over the forcing cone and am trying to find out if it’s really a problem or just people parroting what some “expert” said.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I’ve been shopping around for a GP100 to send Clements for .41 Special conversion, but 4” 357s seem hard to come by right now.
Would a Security Six work for the .41 conversion?

Also, I'm thinking about selling a Blackhawk Bisley .44 special, limited edition ( I think Lipsey?)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have never heard of forcing cone issues with the 44 spec but that does not mean its not true either. Hopefully our resident gunsmith will chime in. Sounds like it will be a cool conversion. Pics when done please.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
I have a GP100 in 44 special and she's a good shooting revolver. I reload on the lower end as well. Have not heard anything about the forcing cone issue you speak of.

·
Administrator
22,672 Posts
The 44 Special is a great old cartridge. It is inherently accurate and I have not heard of forcing cone issues with the GP. If there was a major problem with the GP in 44 Sp thinking you would have hear about it here.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Although I'm a big 41 magnum / 41 Special Fan ... I have a soft spot for under dogs , lost kittens and Red Headed step children ... there is a lot to be said for the 44 Special !
If you can get a good deal on a GP100 in 44 Special ... I would jump on it with both feet .
You can always sell it later if you want to chase the 41 special conversion thing .
Gary

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Although I'm a big 41 magnum / 41 Special Fan ... I have a soft spot for under dogs , lost kittens and Red Headed step children ... there is a lot to be said for the 44 Special !
If you can get a good deal on a GP100 in 44 Special ... I would jump on it with both feet .
You can always sell it later if you want to chase the 41 special conversion thing .
Gary
what Gary said ...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've been a fan of the .41 mag. since I purchased my 1st one back in 1971 (I think that's correct!). I've also been a fan of the .44 Spl. for about the same amount of time.
I currently enjoy the company of three .44 Spl's - two Rugers and one S&W. I have "heard" some stories about forcing cone issues in the GP-100 forty-fours, but haven't seen anything definitive. My newest .44 Spl. (purchased a year ago) is from Lipsey's. It's the 5", blued GP-100 and it's been an absolute hoot! It's favorite load is the Lyman version of Elmer's bullet (#429421) over 7.0 grs. of Unique for +/-850 fps (Actual velocity). So far I've put around 500 of these down range; they're accurate, pleasant to shoot, and cheap!
So, I would say this - If you really want a .357 GP-100 converted to .41 Spl., by all means continue the hunt until you find one. BUT - in the meantime, I'd certainly snatch up a good .44 Spl that "happened" to cross my path! Your choice, but do not tarry too long!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ThreeScrew, everyone apparently wants to reply to you, but doesn’t want to answer your question.
Lol, yep, that happens.

The .44 Special might be the better option since I already have a Smith 24 and all the reloading accessories, including plenty of brass. Plus my stupid accurate 10mm GP 100 already does everything I’d need from a .41 Special.

I’m kind of leaning towards an S&W L-frame as the .41 platform.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts