Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found this 7-1/2" Vaquero in 44-40 at my local Cabela's. I read that it was an uncommon barrel length and chambering, but I also read about the issues with the 44-40 Vaquero's undersized chamber throats. I bought it anyway and I'm glad I did. After slugging the bore and chambers I found that the bore is 0.4296" and the chambers are 0.4298". I'm not sure if this is how it left the factory. I suspect the previous owner had the chambers opened up. Either way, it's an excellent shooter!

It came with a set of Ajax sambar stag grips, which looked nice, but I didn't like the feel, so I replaced them with a set of Ruger rosewood grip panels. I also installed a Wolff spring kit and now it's my favorite single action revolver I own. Here's a picture showing a 10 shot group fired off of sandbags at 15 yards. Not only is it a tight group, but it's perfectly centered at the point of aim. I'm a happy camper!

By the way, I'm shooting 0.430" 200 gr. RNFP cast bullets at 800 fps with zero leading.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Nice indeed!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Very slick gun. Me like. Nice group, too.

It's interesting that since Ruger saw fit to use its .44 Mag barrels we use the .429" or .430" bullets to make this setup functional . . . sort of an early version of the Magnum itself.

:)

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
Gorgeous! Great gun, great caliber, great find. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
That's a beauty, and so is that target!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very slick gun. Me like. Nice group, too.

It's interesting that since Ruger saw fit to use its .44 Mag barrels we use the .429" or .430" bullets to make this setup functional . . . sort of an early version of the Magnum itself.

:)
It makes sense that they would do that, if only they had sized the chambers accordingly, they would have avoided the issues that resulted from undersized chamber throats. I read that they fixed it later in production. It works out good for me as I also shoot 44 Mag, so I don't really need to stock a different bullet for the 44-40, except I like to shoot the traditional 200 gr. RNFP, and 44 Mag. is usually a 240 gr. bullet, but at least they're both 0.430" for my guns.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and I'm sorry for the brag post. I wanted to share with those who could appreciate it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
That is one good looking firearm.
I have been looking for one of the convertible Blackhawks because I really need the adjustable sights with my old eyes.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Looks great.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,938 Posts
Beautiful revolver and grouping on target! That one is a keeper. I had never considered that caliber/finish/barrel length combination before....but now I want one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts