Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a line on inexpensive .44 mag ammo? I recently ordered a Super Blackhawk and I've been looking online at ammo prices. They seem to be all over the place.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
44 Mag is also all over the place in terms of power and quality of projectiles. Some lower power cowboy lead ammo is not surprisingly cheaper than some full power jacketed soft point or hollow point ammo. What is it you are wanting to do with the gun? And what does "inexpensive" mean to you?

You mentioned looking online, so I'm sure you know about gunbot, ammoseek, slickguns, etc. In my experience, full power jacketed stuff is about 65-75 cents a round. To shoot cheaper than that, it will be lead/cowboy stuff or commercial reloads. Or you need to consider rolling your own.

FWIW, for a jacketed bullet: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/hsm-44-mag-240-grain-fmj-pfp-50-rounds?a=716392
They have free shipping for labor day, the code is in the banner on the website. I've heard this ammo is sort of "soft" in terms of power, but have never used it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The price of .44mag is the reason I no longer own a .44mag:( Magtech worked for me, 240gr jacketed soft point.

·
Registered
171 Posts
44 mag is the reason I started reloading. I realized how big a waste it was to not reload. You can develop a load exactly like you want and not rely on the gun store. My guns have not seen factory ammo for almost a decade now. I got into it with a $100 lee kit and a set of dies.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
.44 mag ammo is crazy high these days. I was in WalMart recently and a 50 count box of Federal Champion JHP was $42.95. Forunately, I load my own so, I don't have to pay such prices.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
44 Mag is also all over the place in terms of power and quality of projectiles. Some lower power cowboy lead ammo is not surprisingly cheaper than some full power jacketed soft point or hollow point ammo. What is it you are wanting to do with the gun? And what does "inexpensive" mean to you?

You mentioned looking online, so I'm sure you know about gunbot, ammoseek, slickguns, etc. In my experience, full power jacketed stuff is about 65-75 cents a round. To shoot cheaper than that, it will be lead/cowboy stuff or commercial reloads. Or you need to consider rolling your own.

FWIW, for a jacketed bullet: HSM .44 Mag 240 Grain FMJ-PFP 50 Rounds - 193440, .44 Remington Magnum Ammo at Sportsman's Guide
They have free shipping for labor day, the code is in the banner on the website. I've heard this ammo is sort of "soft" in terms of power, but have never used it.
I just ordered that very same today.
Mostly I'm going to do target shooting. But on occasion I will have this gun on me while hiking. For those times I know I'll have to pay more for the ammo.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The white box .44 jacketed soft point is not bad for all around use. Right at $40.00. But yea, you really need to just start loading your own. Load to .44 special specs and you can shoot all day.

·
Banned
650 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
44 Mag (and 357 Mag) will need to be reloaded if you want to shoot it economically.

Best bet is to get some decent 44 mag (1000 rounds if you can) and save the brass.

I'm using a Lee single stage reloading kit and I can reload 100-200 rounds in a few hours.

Not fast but that is about all I shoot at a range session for 44 mags.

Once you get going, you can end up reloading for about $10 a box of 50.

MUCH cheaper than the average of $30-ish a box.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Freedom Munitions is about as cheap as you can get loaded. I bought 500 rounds when I got my SBH. I really need/want to start reloading too.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Just paid $25.00 w/tax for 25 44 specials. Wanted to try out the new Henry but not waste the 44 mags I have on hand.

·
Registered
668 Posts
44 mag is the reason I started reloading. I realized how big a waste it was to not reload. You can develop a load exactly like you want and not rely on the gun store. My guns have not seen factory ammo for almost a decade now. I got into it with a $100 lee kit and a set of dies.
.44 mag is also the reason I started reloading back in the 80's. If you scrounge and pour your own lead, you can still load them for around a dime or less.
Happy shootin'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts