Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 44 carbine a couple weeks ago (SN 91964) as I have a revolver in the 44 mag and wanted something better to have as a defensive weapon when traveling in remote areas alone. Is the carbine able to withstand the pressures of the heavier modern hunting loads such as the 305 grain Cor-Bon penetrators or the Buffalo Bore 340 grain +Ps at 1478 fps and 1649 ft lbs..? Also it seemed to have problems with soft points hanging up when attempting to cycle them into the receiver.Is this common in the carbine or should I be looking for something particular that may be wrong? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I think it might be best to consult Ruger directly on that. I think that I would only shoot standard weight bullets out of it myself. Is this one of the new guns or the old? Welcome to the Forum, by the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the serial number, I'd have to guess it's an older carbine. I don't think I'd hesitate to use regular 300 grain loads in it but for Grizzlys, I'd prefer the heavyest I could safely use.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Welcome to the Board. Glad to have you here. When you get a chance, go to the new member section in the Lobby and introduce yourself. Make yourself at home and enjoy the board.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts