Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals, have a few questions about a recently aquired 44 carbine. A friend directed me here, said there were lots of experts that could help.

Carbine is a 73 or 74 year manufacture, tube feed with the standard stock.
Always wanted one and found it a the LGS in kinda sad shape. Price was right so I brought it home. Outside of the barrel and receiver has some pitting, probably put away wet??? Inside shows very little wear and looks to be in pretty good shape. Striped and cleaned, shoots 240gn XTP like a dream.
heres the questions,
1. There is slight movement between the receiver and the rear locking block. If you pull forward on the barrel there is a few thousands of slop. normal?? any adjustments that can be made?
2. This may be a condition of problem 1. while shooting the barrel band creeps forward. After 5 shots it moves forward about a 1/4 inch. Just snug to tight has same results.
3. There is also a very fine crack in the stock on the underside infront of the loading port. maybe also a result of condition 1??
I know that the stocks a prone to cracking, I can either repair or replace if needed. Pretty much already decided to purchase a Boyds laminate and save the walnut. Macon stocks also makes a factory replacement in walnut but twice the price a boyds. Like the walnut but thought the laminate would stand up better to the pounding??
I know this is kinda long winded, just wondering if the above conditions are normal or if theres something(s) I need to address before more damage occurs.
Thanks,T

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If you prefer the factory walnut stock, you might consider having the action glass bedded to remove the movement you were talking about. At the same time it is being glass bedded the crack could also be repaired with the epoxy compound. If color mixed right the repair to the crack could be almost invisible.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Not sure about the block movement, as I've not owned one. Perhaps you could drill and tap the side of the barrel band for a flush head blued wood screw that would go into the wood, that would hold the band from creeping.
If the pitting gets to bug you, and you are not set on keeping the carbine in original condition, you could have the metal media blasted ( 100 grit aluminum oxide) and Cerakote it. A Grey or Tungsten color looks good with wood, and no worries ever again about rust.
My brother has an older .44 carbine, and I shot a couple whitetail with it years ago. Great handling gun, and puts deer size game down with authority.
A pic of my formerly blued Mini-30 with "Sniper Grey" Cerakote:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the cerakote look with black or gray stocks.
Maybe something in the future. I cleaned up the rust with superfine steel wool aNd some cold bluing. Can still feel the spots but looks better.
Pinning the barrel band could cause a bind and affect accuarcy. It would probably also split the end of the stock. Need to figure out what's causing the movement.
Thanks T

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Just having a barrel band on a carbine will affect accuracy. Lever actions without a barrel band shoot better than those that do. If you predrilled the wood for the wood screw it should not split. Not like the barrel band is torquing forward very hard that it would put pressure on the hole in the wood.
Good luck on the fixes, let us know how it comes out.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Tnob, I've got a .44 Carbine that I got quite a few years ago and naturally I had to do some work on the stock also. BTW using the 240 grain bullets is pretty standard with all the Ruger .44 Carbines. I used "Accura-glass on the stock, and you can't even tell where it was repaired. The walnut on the original stock is of what I would consider higher quality. The only crack I actually had was right near the ejection port on the wood , which I smoothed down. The barrel band can be tightened down simply by placing a piece of fine wood shavings between the forearm, and the barrel band. Believe me this is not even noticeable if done properly. The slop in the action is, I believe necessary in order for the firearm to function properly. Mine will shoot 3" moa nearly all day, or at least until the barrel heats up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Guys..
I'm not worried about repairing and or replacing the stock. I have done several other types over the years with good results. My main concern is the movement between the receiver and the locking block. When the bolt returns after firing a round the gun moves forward inside the stock a few thousands. I think that slight movement forward is causing the fine crack and moving the barrel band?? I would rather the barrel band be gone but due to the design of the firearm it has to stay. There is no more adjustment in the band, it can't be tightened any further without shims. I typically don't like them very tight anyway.
I guess if the receiver to block movement is normal then I have 2 options, remove any stock material that would be hit on the return cycle or bed the action so nothing moves.
Looks like there are only 2 places to bed the action, behind the locking block and in front of the gas port block? I do have a new locking block coming, there are fairly cheap and thought it wouldn't hurt to try. They look to be made out of aluminum or some type of cast, might be worn enough to cause the slop.
Thanks,T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts