Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for my first revolver. I've handled both the bisley hunter, redhawk and super redhawk. I have tons of room for my index finger with the bisley but cramped with the redhawk. My fingers feel cramped from the formed grip on the super redhawk. Any suggestions on what to buy? I'm thinking DA but not sure. The revolver will mostly be used for target practice and I'll be reloading. Too bad they don't make a bisley style for the super redhawk or redhawk. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got a Super Blackhawk, but I usually shoot my DA revolvers SA anyway. I've never even held a Redhawk, so I can't help much, but better grips are probably available.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There is really only one way to know for sure and thay is to try the different ones, even if it is only dry firing. Too bad you are not local to me.

·
Administrator
23,041 Posts
My 4" Redhawk has the Hogues on it which make a big difference.

I would go with the one that feels the most comfortable and natural when you grip it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I prefer a swiing out clylinder for loading,unloading and if u cock than not fire u open and re index. I hav 7.5 RH and a single six 22. I didn't like stock wood grip either,went with a hogue. fondle them a lot first cuz they will last a lifetime.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am 6'4" and #260, basically I have big hands. I have a Super Blackhawk .44 with Pachmyer rubber grips and have no finger/trigger issues. The wood grips were a little small and slick for me.
Darrell

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya. It seems the blackhawks have a lot of room between the grip and guard. The redhawks seem to be kinda constricting.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Owned and shot all three guns you mention and loved everyone of them. The Bisley hunter is a sweet gun. I shot a pair of bisley's in Cowboy Shooting with SASS and they did me up fine. Got my Bisley Hunter all scoped up and ready to hunt with, but my health conditions prevented me from that notion, so it got sold to fund some of my double action endeavors. The SRH was also made to be a hunter and for the same reason I sold it (after spending a lot of money on the extra's like scopes and such). My first pistol was a Redhawk and I loved the way it handled and shot. But currently the only one of the three that I own and plan on keeping is a SRH Alaskan in 44 magnum. The Hogue Tammer grips it came with suited me to a tee so I found no reason to change a thing. I did get the gun Mag-Na-Ported however.

My vote would be for the SRH in any of the versions it's currently offered in. The deal there concerns your issues with the grip. Since the SRH's grip frame is a simple post, it allows you to get any size/type of single piece grip to go with it. Hogue even suggests filing on their nylon grips to get them the way you want them. A lot of options in grips on that particular model. Smithy.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Have a Vaquero with the Bisley grip frame.
Love it enough that a BH Bisley and SBH Bisley Hunter are on my wish list.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya I'm leaning more to the super redhawk than bisley. I think I'd like the da than said when loading. The revolver will be used mostly for target shooting anyways.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
I shot almost 100% single actions now-a-days, but I did own one SRH. It shoot well but I never shot it DA when using it. I found it sitting in the safe gathering dust and sold it. Why? because I found it to big and clunky for my uses. When I went to grab a revolver, it was never the SRH. To me the only thing a SRH is good for is a heavy dedicated hunting revolver or maybe silhouette shooting. Put it in a chest holster and away you go. For general target shooting and in the field for backup, hiking, fishing, and camping, I'll take a BH/SBH (grip style is preference thing) any day over the SRH. A standard RH wouldn't be to bad though (my dad has one) if you have to have a DA revolver.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Handle the two different pistols and ask yourself,
" do I like this pistol ? am I comfortable with how it feels in my hand ?
Will I enjoy shooting it ? "
Decide what you want he pistol to do for you, ( what your needs are )
A D/A revolver is not a cowboy single action, Nor visa verse.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,461 Posts
It all depends on your primary use. If it is hunting, I prefer the Super Blackhawk with the 10 1/2" barrel. If it is for a woods gun for protection from black bear, mountain lion, or pissed off elk, I prefer the Redhawk with the 7 1/2" barrel. If it is for protection from brown bear or pissed off moose, I go with my S&W 460.

Be careful, .44 magnums can be addicting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It all depends on your primary use. If it is hunting, I prefer the Super Blackhawk with the 10 1/2" barrel. If it is for a woods gun for protection from black bear, mountain lion, or pissed off elk, I prefer the Redhawk with the 7 1/2" barrel. If it is for protection from brown bear or pissed off moose, I go with my S&W 460.

Be careful, .44 magnums can be addicting.

I am not impressed.....no 7-1/2" SBH......???

Oh wait.....yes I am. :D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I totally agree with your assessment of the SRH when it comes to the 7.5" or 9.5" SRH, But I've found plenty of potential for their SRH Alaskan in 44 magnum. Mine is my house gun. It has an action job with Wolff springs, the original Hogue Tamer grips, a HiViz front blade and a Simply Rugged all steel rear. It also has been Mag-Na-Ported and has full coverage engraving. It's definitely a keeper. Easy to pack (no chest holster required) and fairly easy shooting. Give it a look see. It just may be your missing "need one" that you'd like to add to your collection. Smithy.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
But I've found plenty of potential for their SRH Alaskan in 44 magnum
Yes you are right, the Alaskan is a different animal. I can see the potential of using it as a house gun and open carry as a defensive weapon in the woods. I think though it is a bit big for CC (I have a CA Bulldog .44Spec for that... wish Ruger made one in this form factor... but I digress). For general target shooting, I like a bit longer barrel (minimum 4 5/8"). This goes for general woods carry where I might want to try for a bit longer range shooting, yet still be good for the short range defensive shooting too. All compromises :) . Maybe that is why Taffin is 'still' looking for that perfect pack'n pistol :D . Hah!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know I have found that the Bisley model fits very nice in my hand. Im just not sure about the single action part of it or loading/unloading one round at a time.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
. I'm just not sure about the single action part of it or loading/unloading one round at a time.
What's the 'hurry' with loading/unloading? ;) . I've never found it a 'problem'. But that's me :) . As for Single Action ... Well, it's the only way I shoot. Cock the hammer, aim, fire... repeat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
... Any suggestions on what to buy? I'm thinking DA but not sure. The revolver will mostly be used for target practice and I'll be reloading...
Since the primary use will be target and you'll be reloading, the SBH 7.5" Stainless Steel w/ Houge grips can't be bested. I have large hands, a Houge grip on this revolver fills the hands and permits easy handling even when using maximum loads. I've had mine for about 9 months and the trigger is just broke in (~ 1000 rounds). The SBH is a very well built gun, a purchase you won't regret :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts