Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a 44 carbine international in pretty poor condition, the bore is great and there are no cracks in the stock just stored bad for 48 years, so i'am going to do a complete restoration on it. Stripped most of it down already, but there is one part on the stock i'am unsure of , the plastic medalion logo on the bottom of the pistol grip, how do i get that off without breaking it, is that screwed on under the ruger logo? I placed a magnet over the logo and felt a pull, so i know there is a screw but not sure how to get under it without damage A little help please thanks:)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Grip medallion is attached using adhesive (RTV?) to the grip cap. People have had success using a hair dryer on high or heat gun on low to soften up the adhesive (without melting the plastic cap) and gently prying the medallion up with a thin blade. Medallion should come off revealing the cap screw.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
ffg, would definitely like to see that International Carbine in .44 Magnum. I was unaware that they even made such a gun. I'm definitely into the the Mannlicher stocks in just about any firearm.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ashame someone let that Ruger international get in poor shape to begin with! Would sell for big bucks these days. Even the standard Ruger 44 carbine often goes for $600 or more in my neck of the woods.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Where in the H E double hockey sticks do you people find these rifles. I've been going to gun shops and gun shows for 25 years and have yet to see a 44 carbine up close and personal

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I bought one quite a few years ago at a local pawn shop, it looked fairly well used, however the bore was in excellent shape so I got it out the door for $250.00. Took it out and shot it and it shot really well also. Next step was to remove the surface rust, and re-do the stock, and add a Williams peep sight. Needless to say the rifle looks like brand new, and under that ugly stock was a very attractive walnut wood. Right around 10 years ago I was offered $600 for it, however I turned it down, on a feral hog hunt. Do love that little carbine.

Still waiting for a picture of that .44Mag Carbine with the International stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
44 mag international (mannlicher stock)

Yep I have one and it is my fav rifle #107XXX made in 1966 I am missing the muzzle cap. Anyone know where to get one?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Tobiastatum, try calling Numrich Gun Parts Corporation and see if they have the muzzle cap. If they only have a few, they will not list them in their catalog, so a phone call is best. Their phone number is #(845) 679-2417 8am to 6pm Eastern standard time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey guys, I just traded into a Ruger Model 44. I've got a 3-9x scope mounted and I'm getting 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards with Winchester white box 240 grain. I guess when The American Rifleman reviewed them when they first came out they got about 2 1/2 inch groups at fifty yards and about 5 inches at 100 yards. Is this really as good as it gets?
I've relieved the pressure from the barrel band. Should I try to free float the barrel or am I wasting my time? Is it primarily a fifty yard gun?

·
Registered
1 Posts
44 carbine

The three carbines I have /had have been very accurate with heavy hand loads. The best was my RS, the one with the factory peep sight. Under 1" at 100 yards was the norm. My deluxe full stock International is second. It was like new when I bought it and still is. It has beautiful walnut with factory checkering. It was a bargain at $1,025. The best loads are the Hornady .265 and Lever Evolutions. If you are not going to use the Lever Evolutions in a hand gun, do not trim the cases. You give up capacity. My loads are close to 2000 fps. I use nothing but H-110. I have tried them all. I use new Remington brass for the hot ones. All I will say is that I back off when I see pressure signs. Ruger carbines are extremely strong.
The most inaccurate loads have been with the factory and hand load 240 grain.
Many deer have been taken with my carbines. All shots were almost too destructive and all were pass throughs.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
The .44Mag Carbine I've got definitely prefers the Hornady 240grn HP which it will group just over 1" at 100 yards with the first 3 rounds and slightly over 2" with the remaining 2 rounds. Now I do all my hand loadings using H110 or WW296 powders.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
BTW it is plenty accurate for the feral hogs out here and puts them down with authority. What I like best about that little firearm is that it is so small and easy to maneuver in the brushy areas in the marsh where it necessitates hunting those critters. Follow-up shots are readily available also when seldom needs to be.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The .44Mag Carbine I've got definitely prefers the Hornady 240grn HP which it will group just over 1" at 100 yards with the first 3 rounds and slightly over 2" with the remaining 2 rounds. Now I do all my hand loadings using H110 or WW296 powders.
What are you using for sights/scope?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Purchased this on Gun Broker a couple of months ago. Manufactured in 1967 but appears to be in excellent condition and shoots to point of aim.
Nice! And finally a pic of one! Come on people. All the talk of "I have one of these" and no pics! Lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
44 Carbine International

Picked this up recently, what a find. It is the only one I've ever come across. Dates to 1966. Metal is in great condition but the wood finish is scratched pretty good. More on one side than the other. Most all of the scratches are only in the finish not the wood. Can't decide if I should refinish it or leave it alone. I probably won't be shooting it other than to test fire it, but I don't want to ruin its value either.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts