Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reloading for a few years but haven't done any true magnum loads until now. My .44 loads until now have been target loads using Penn's 185gr DBBWC bullet. I've acquired a box of Penn 240gr TCBB and intended to do loads with H110.

The question I have is regarding the Dillon accu-crimp die. I did some test rounds (no primer/powder). My OAL is set so the mouth of the case is centered in the middle of the crimp line as per Penn's instructions. I see that if I tighten die down quite a bit, I start to see the start of a roll crimp (basically the case starts to follow the contour of the crimp grove). My question is how much of a roll crimp do I need? The bullet seems quite secure to me and requires a few bangs with my impact bullet remover to get it out.

I figure I can test it by loading five rounds in my revolver, and checking the last round after each shot for bullet movement.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Dillon crimp die. But I like a firm crimp on most of my .44 Magnum loads. On my cast bullet loads, with a Lyman 429421, I have a roll crimp going a bit over halfway into the crimp groove, and My Redding Profile Crimp die I use about the same. It is really a matter of personal preference and what works with your load combination in your gun. Some say a hefty crimp is needed, or best, for some slower burning powders that gives a little "back pressure" for complete burn but in all the .44 Magnum reloads I've made (since 1987) I haven't been able to pin that theory down. My reloads with my medium to heavy crimp keep the bullets in place (in my 4 revolvers) and my loads are pretty consistent, accuracy wise...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts