Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was about to do some case trimming and started measuring my brass. To my surprise I found sixty of my Hornady case we're between 1.257" and 1.260". The rest were right around the recommended load length of 1.275" and nothing exceeded the mass 1.285". So no trimming was done. But how did those sixty get so freaking short? More importantly, are they even half for reloading? Or would that be risky or dangerous? How short is too short for. 44 magnum cases??

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Trim them back to 44 spl!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,978 Posts
FrankCastle, Betcha those short cases were originally loaded with Hornady Leverevolution 44 Mag. Cases for these loads are shorter to accommodate the FTX bullets.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,877 Posts
+1 on the trimming to .44spl length. The short cases won't flare or crimp properly since your dies are adjusted with cases of the correct length. I guess you could re-set the dies to run a batch of special loads. A light target/ plinking load would be easy to work up.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
FrankCastle, Betcha those short cases were originally loaded with Hornady Leverevolution 44 Mag. Cases for these loads are shorter to accommodate the FTX bullets.
Yep

Thewelshm

·
Banned
308 Posts
"FrankCastle, Betcha those short cases were originally loaded with Hornady Leverevolution 44 Mag. Cases for these loads are shorter to accommodate the FTX bullets. "

Same deal with their .45C Levergun rounds. Too short for me to reload them.

Radio George

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hornady leverevolution cases

The 45/70 LeveRevolution cases are extremely short, too. I had two boxes of this ammo, shot the rounds and prepped to reload before discovering this fact. Gave them to a friend who loads the LVR bullet exclusively. I just didn't have time to readjust for them.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Don't worry about it. I've been reloading .44 Magnum since '88 and I doubt if I've ever trimmed cases more than 3 or 4 times, and that was just outta curiosity. I don't worry about crimp variations either as a .010" difference in case length will have very little, if any effect on accuracy (I got pretty good groups, 1.25" @ 50' with my reloads in my Dan Wesson 44H).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses and help guys. Still learning the ropes and of course questions come up.

Or reload them with ftx bullets, 44 magnum, or trim them to 44 spcl. ;)
I have set the 60 short cases aside and will eventually reload 'em. With FTX bullets. I've had a great experience with those rounds in .44 Mag and .45 LC. Very accurate.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,979 Posts
Thanks for all the responses and help guys. Still learning the ropes and of course questions come up.

I have set the 60 short cases aside and will eventually reload 'em. With FTX bullets. I've had a great experience with those rounds in .44 Mag and .45 LC. Very accurate.
Good idea, I have never tried the ftx in the 44 magnum, but have in the 45LC, they are accurate. I do remember browsing the 44 mag loads with the ftx, ( hornady 9th edition) and remember the shorter case length it required. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts