Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some horse tradin' recently and ended up with this classic older S&W 629-4 with a looooong 8 3/8" barrel - "longer than a piece of rope" I was told. To some Smith fans this 629 has all the right stuff and none of the "wrong" stuff - case hardened target hammer and target trigger and no MIM parts or an internal lock. (I'm not hung up on the MIM parts or the IL - I love my newer S&W too.) This one has a storied past having taken several mature midwestern deer and "dropped 'em like a sack of potatoes." I don't doubt it.

So far I've only shot it at my indoor range where the targets only go out to 12.5 yards - not much of a challenge to see what it can really do. Cooler weather is heading our way in a few weeks and I'm hopin' to get back to the outdoor range and try it out to 50 Yards. I know it's capable but we'll see if I'm good to "minute of deer" with it at any longer distance.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Been wondering when you'd get around to showin off the old girl...:D You got her lookin good Buddy! I still have a little meat in the freezer that she put on the ground for me..... Now, before I Get all sentimental like and start cryin for her back, I'm gonna head down to the gun room and pet that purdy custom GP I traded you out of....;)

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
If someone else had purchased that gun, I would wonder if he was try to compensate for something, but in your case...:D

Beautiful revolver! I have a more modestly endowed S&W 696 (6" barrel) and I love to shoot it. I still prefer my Ruger RedHawk (7.5" barrel) for hunting. I'd probably feel differently if my 696 had a barrel THAT long.

Jim

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have the little brother to this one...it's a model 629 with a 3" barrel. I shot one back in the 80's at a factory demo, and the S&W rep called it 'The Chipmunk'....I went right out and bought one and loved it ever since. It's a real blast to shoot...:D

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,389 Posts
Congratulations, very nice acquisition! My very first handgun as a teenager back in the 1960s was a 10 1.2" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. The .44 magnum is still my favorite cartridge.

8" Colt Anaconda
8 3/8" S&W 29-2
4" S&W 29-2
6 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk 50th. Anniversary Flattop
10 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice! I have an identical 629-4 and it is a lot of fun to shoot. Maybe not super practical, but who cares.
Cool - So you know this one well! If all my guns had to be practical I would have three guns instead of, well, a lot more than three....

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Very Nice. I have the same length in a 41 mag and a 27-2 in 357. Both are very nice shooters. I used them at Bowling pins and was accused of knocking pins off with barrel. You will really enjoy that one IMHO. Great catch there.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very Nice. I have the same length in a 41 mag and a 27-2 in 357. Both are very nice shooters. I used them at Bowling pins and was accused of knocking pins off with barrel. You will really enjoy that one IMHO. Great catch there.
:D

I have the same length in a 27-2 as well - great gun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts