Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your favorite, accurate target load for a 44 mag? I'm trying to help a buddy find something to use in his new Readhawk that isn't a full-bore Magnum load. I have never had to mess with one of these before. :confused:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't have my reloading logs with me but my first suggestion would be to use .44 special loads. I use a Penn 200gr RNFP in special brass with my SBH and even at 1100fps it is a powder puff in that gun.

But you can use standard 240gr bullets in magnum cases using fast powders. One would be Unique. Check the Lyman #48 manual for suitable loads with other powders and bullets.

·
Registered
87 Posts
With a 240gr. cast bullet try 7-8gr. unique or universal. I like universal because its a lot cleaner than unique. As posted the lyman book has a lot of good loads, speer book also.
Eric

·
Super Moderator
21,501 Posts
My most accurate load is 240 gr gc cast over 20 gr of 2400. This isn't an easy does it load but the one I use for hunting. A load with a 240 gr cast bullet over 8 gr of unique is much more sedate a load for targets and plinking.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Don't have my load dats available right now but I'm thinking I was very happy with 21 grains of H110 with a 240gr JHP.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Albeit a bit smoky, somewhere between 8-10 gr. Hercules Unique under your favorite 240 gr hard cast lead swc bullet with WLP primers will produce great accuracy and deliver satisfactory mid range performance levels for most 'plinking' duties.

·
Registered
47 Posts
240gr with 6gr of bullseye or 7.5 of AA#2 (both sub-sonic). I like to load mag loads subsonic with fast burning powder.

·
Registered
28 Posts
240gr over 5 or 6gr of W231. Nice plinking load. OR 7gr Unique w/240gr.
By the way, HI guys, new guy here. I just like saying that, with all my gray hair, makes me feel young!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
With a 240gr. cast bullet try 7-8gr. unique or universal. I like universal because its a lot cleaner than unique. As posted the lyman book has a lot of good loads, speer book also.
Eric
+1 on the Universal for light .44 mag loads.

I find that the 7.6 grs my old bushing measure drops of Universal Clays under a 240 gr SWC bullet is very accurate and not near as smoky as Unique. For just a bit more power, 8.5 grs of Universal with the 240 gr bullet also works very well in MY gun.
Baker

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guy's! That's what I'm lookin' for. Target loads to shoot at 7 to 25yds. indoors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Been out of reloading for over 20 years, but back then I don't remember using such small grain weights (assuming the quailities of Bullseye and Unique are near the same) in a large caliber case.

I didn't reload for 44Mag, but a friend of mine did. The first 44Mag I ever saw was his and thought is was too much of a cannon. Backed up a little every time I saw him pull it out. Backed up even more after I saw him reload by scooping 2400 with the case and compressing the load. Don't remember the bullet weight. Guess it was a good thing he had a Ruger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What Terry P. and Skyline said, 8.5 gr Unique or 20 gr of 2400 are both lesser loads that are easy on the hands. The Unique load being the softer of the 2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.